Announcement

Collapse

New Forums are now up!

Greetings Dragon Lords! Please visit our new forums at http://forums.wardragons.com! We're leaving this old forum up for a period of time to allow players to migrate over any important posts, but will eventually close them out. Please note that you will need to log in using your PocketID over on the new forum. You can also access them through the game by tapping on Settings > Forums!
See more
See less

New 50% breeding is a rip off for new players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 50% breeding is a rip off for new players

PGJared do you mind explaining the thinking for this new breeding discount?

A new player will think they are getting a 50% discount for one breeding event on certain dragons

The reality is they will pay more for all but one combination as well as mess up their breeding paths.
    Either the person who made this call is badly out of touch with breeding mechanics or this is a classic bait and switch

Viscus + Yanari for Hydron = 3800 eggs after 50% discount ( 7600 normal price )
    However Baldr + Lucius is 1440

Why charge new players more than double?

Baldr + Slynx for Amarok = 12000 eggs after 50% discount.
    However Baldr+Ith = 60 eggs

Thats a massive rip off!!

Hydron+Nassus = Danzig 13k eggs

This is the only combo with a discount!
    13k savings

Garvez+Gaspar = Ettin 13k

Face value looks ok but Lucius + Munin also gives Elixis for free

With low dragons the cheap platinum and gold backbreeds not immediately accessible a new player would need Etzel+Nix for 19k

This makes someone 6k worse off if they want or need Elixis now. If they can wait then it is an ok deal as they can eventually get Elixis for 2k.

Ettin + Danzig = Bander 50k
    Ferrox + Basileus = Khrysos 50k

This one is a joke!

Ferrox + Basileus actually breed Bander, Khrysos and Sekoronos.

Your discount on one offspring still means people need to spend more to finish the other two off!

In summary most of the combinations represent a bad deal to new players. In addition in some cases it forces players off well established breeding paths which can add additional egg costs.

Hopefully you guys can make this right for new players before the start of the event.

I will speak from the perspective of my own paths, if you don't mind.

Viscus + Yanari for Hydron = 3800 eggs after 50% discount ( 7600 normal price )
    However Baldr + Lucius is 1440
    Actually, Lucius is only needed for this one breed (and can be cheaply backbred when you need him later). So if you remove the Lucius breed (4,100) and use the discounted one, you do come out ahead. But if you have Lucius, yes it's better to use the other combination.

Baldr + Slynx for Amarok = 12000 eggs after 50% discount.
    However Baldr+Ith = 60 eggs
    If you completely skip getting Ith until after Amarok, you can remove the following dragons from my breeding path entirely:

Luminark (5k)
    Septys, Kolo (7.8k)
    Ith, Serabis (19.6k)

This, of course, would lock you into a different breeding path (typically the Gaspar/Garzev = Ettin/Ith start one) but it is a legitimate option.

Garvez+Gaspar = Ettin 13k

Face value looks ok but Lucius + Munin also gives Elixis for free
    Except Elixis is useless, at least on my paths. He is not used as a parent once.

Ettin + Danzig = Bander 50k
    Ferrox + Basileus = Khrysos 50k

This one is a joke!

Ferrox + Basileus actually breed Bander, Khrysos and Sekoronos.

Your discount on one offspring still means people need to spend more to finish the other two off!
    It will be Ettin + Danzig = Bander for 22,660, not 50,000 for clarity sake. Assuming you are doing this breed to get Yersinu (like most need), this "discount" is infact relatively useless.

Unless people also get Sekoronos at 50k as well, the discount on Khrysos is completely useless since he's not regularly used as a breeder on his own.

Love Red,

Leader of Rulith
    Lover of Spreadsheets

Helpful Threads:
    How to Build YOUR Ultimate Breeding Path
    Red's Breeding Paths: Sapphire to Emerald

Rulith's Website:
    All Breeding Paths
    Red's Guide to Flying Hunters
    Dragon's, etc.

Social:
    Twitter - @TheRedDelilah
    Twitch

Comment

• gaza8143
      gaza8143 commented
      Editing a comment
      My point for Elixis is that for a new player they are quite likely going to breed that dragon anyway.

I know when I was a new player I bred everything on the tier. Knowing what I know now I could of saved 500k eggs.

I dont think people bother fast breeding amarok these days he was a beast in his day but is a shadow of his former self with elemenral and flak towers.

My concern with these breeds for the target audience which is new players is that it could throw them on the wrong track and waste tokens.

• TheRedDelilah
      TheRedDelilah commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahh, good point.

• gaza8143
      gaza8143 commented
      Editing a comment
      TheRedDelilah I reckon you would have a better idea on how the discounts for new players should work.

It would be nice to see new players have some options to add high value impact dragons to their roster green - platinum.

Why only those tiers though... Why not Storm!!! stupid storm, crappy expensive emeralds.... damnit!

Comment

Why not just reduce the total number of eggs for every dragon during this breed event. 25% reduction, 35% reduction, 50% reduction. So instead of me needing 700 eggs for Ursa you would only need 350 eggs (50% reduction). You would also need to reduce all other eggs that are part of the breeds.

This is a way to help the player base PG. Not the adding breeding pairs that potentially increase the cost but would definitely throw you off of most of the breeding guides going forward.

Comment

• laserlight
        laserlight commented
        Editing a comment
        @odie1983, I'm going to assume it's because more and more of their active player base is under level 100. I was starting to wonder if Pocket Gems was running into the same problem that a lot of Chinese game development companies run into. Honeymoon Phase, players love War Dragons and spend money for a couple of weeks to a couple of months. But once they get into Orange/Green tier and start to realize they can't turn out a dragon as quickly as they could in Red through Blue, it wears off quickly.

EDIT: Also, I like to sample freemium games on Android and I've seen a lot of the War Dragon Ads. Most of them feature dragons in the Gold tier and under. I get the impression that they keep attracting new people to download, but are having a hard time keeping them playing for 1+ years. Maybe because of the guild commitment that is required for Wars and Event participation.
        Last edited by laserlight; 08-25-2017, 07:35 PM.

I think instead of all the other crap they should give us 75% off Sapphire dragons. That would help crumble that wall for a while. LOL
      What, me worry?

Comment

• Mechengg
        Mechengg commented
        Editing a comment
        Or 50%
        Or 40%
        Or 25%
        Or 10%

They would all be better than a kick in the pants that's for sure!

There will be a post up in the following thread about this promotion: http://wardragons.pocketgems.com/for...956#post147956

Short answer: It's a promotion that's being tested out and isn't meant to address issues with breeding paths or rebalance the game.

Comment

• Fairyknight
        Fairyknight commented
        Editing a comment
        Perhaps you should make sure only the target group gets spammed with the add for this. Everytime the games kicks me, I am anoyed because I see the add, of course it helps to know it is a danaer present (a big wooden horse) but still another kick to face for me

Why don't they just implement a discount for sapphire and up? 50% off being the max for the third highest tier and below (till sapphire). Following that could be 25% off for the second highest tier, and then finally the highest tier would be regular priced(as it is now). This would allow the gap to be covered at a faster rate as well as entice players in the glue trap of sapphire to get through it at a reasonable pace but never reach the top tier as it is always too much. This does NOT mean to increase the price of any dragon or tier of dragons! If it could be put into the game it would definitely fix/aid the problem with the sapphire wall and up. Spenders can still buy the top content and non-spenders can trail close enough behind to make sure the game doesn't become a world of untouchables(spenders who are 17 tiers ahead) vs the normals (free to mild spending players).

Another idea i've had for awhile now is to change the cost of a single breed. Once players claim the double token boost from the line(normally third) the boost given during the breeding events is totally wasted on those players since these two boosts don't stack. What i am proposing is to decrease the cost per breed from 20 tokens to 10! This would give no advantage to players in event points as they are not getting anymore "bang for their buck" but rather they are just getting dragons for 1/2 the price which i believe would be awesome for non-spenders to catch up! I think this because non-spenders only have a specific amount of tokens anyways and will only be getting a certain number event points(definately not more than 1/2 of the total progression in prizes) so the only thing this would be doing is allowing players to catch up with what they have and let whale keep on being whales. The whales have millions of tokens and want to get all the prizes usually. This would allow the whales to have the choice of claiming the token boost(for non breeding event times and then a 1/2 off reduction) to either breed fast or breed for the most prizes such as in global prizes. Just to clarify, the discount doesn't have to 50% but please understand that anything under 25%(20 tokens to 15) won't be taken well by the players so i suggest you think about doing this and not slapping us in the face with our own ideas.

If PG were to use both these methods i would be in tears of joy. I hope they can turn this game around to what it once was. I didn't calculate anything to the extent of what Red does, but i feel as if these ideas can be used even if some of the percentages have to be altered slightly. This is but an idea not some strict plan of any sort. Please take these ideas into consideration PG!!!

PGJared <-Hopefully this is how to tag administrators... If not let's just pretend this never happened.
      Thanks for the read!

Comment

• Dravoz
        Dravoz commented
        Editing a comment
        I think this is an excellent idea. Can't see a downside for PG as the whales will still spend to get the latest and greatest, while a discount for older tiers would encourage moderate spending. As it is now, there is no incentive for moderate spending at Sapphire and above. PG should implement this now.

The thing is guys Sapphire is just the FIRST wall... Garnet is just as bad.. addressing one wall wont fix the problem in the long run. They need to address the issue properly by scaling it so only the most recent dragons have the high costs (143K (legendary) and 220k (mythics)... If they let you rush sapphire you will just get stuck on all the crappy Garnet dragons. At least sapphire has a good dragon (Hau).

Comment

• gaza8143
        gaza8143 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sapphire / Garnet / Emerald are all terrible
        I havent looked at Obsidian
    Working...
    X