Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Build YOUR Ultimate Breeding Path

Hello Community,

I have always enjoyed puzzles, problems, spreadsheets, and finding multiple solutions for everything. Due to this, creating breeding paths has always been a passion of mine. When the amazing, amazing Amoeba first opened his website to us, I squealed with joy and then immediately groaned as I realized so many theories we had on breeding were incredibly false. I dived right in to explore how the breeding actually happened and loved every moment of it, and I still do. My team can tell you I disappear every time something changes with breeding, "Red's in her spreadsheets again". Anyway, I digress.

Purpose of this Thread: To teach you how to build a breeding path that best fits your needs and to share my knowledge along the way
    My "Credentials": I've been making breeding paths for my friends and team since Amoeba launched for players as low as 12 to those in their 200s (consulting on many many big player's choices along the way).
    My Proof: I've tested all my theories on myself, mistakes and all. My new "main" account (my second account which I now prefer to play) is free-to-play level 103 with the following roster: Nightshade, Whalegnawer, Consurgens, Necura, Jagra, Yersinu, Kelvin, Vulcan, Tengu, and Kulan with Rizar and Kaiju joining the family as soon as breeding opens.
    Getting Ready

To get started making a breeding path, I gather some information and materials first. My preferences include the following:
    • List of all dragons in the game with those dragons I have checked off (I have a template on my computer for this usually)
    • Paper and pen
    • Spreedsheet open and ready
    • Calculator
    • Amoeba's website ready to go: http://amoebastudios.com/dragon/

Rationale: Each of these items has a very significant purpose. We need to know where we are starting, hence the dragon checklist. When I first started making the checklist (before I memorized the dragons), I would make notes on all dragons I did not have regarding their rarity, which ones had great spells sets I loved (+) and which ones I could really do without (-), as well as which type each dragon was. As to why I think paper and a pen can be important: when I go through the process I am about to describe, I like to write down all the information I can and not be tempted to erase. This is something my high school calc teacher taught me. "It is always better to be able to see one's mistakes and choices and reflect on them, than erase them and pretend they never existed. You never know if your first mistake may turn out to be the right answer in the end." Spreadsheets and calculators will just make organizational shit easier.
    Make a Goal

What will be your driving focus when making the breeding path for you? When I make paths, I have to pick one of the following:
    • Strong Roster
    • Cheap Cost

If you want a strong roster so you have a variety of great dragons to pick from, you will therefore get more dragons and it will cost more in order to get dragons at a level you can use them. If you want a cheap total cost, that is going to imply a lot of backbreeding which will mean you get most "good" dragons at a higher level than they are useful for you. There are pros and cons to both, and it really depends on what type of gameplay you want. If you are looking for a strong roster, it might be a slower start to get going and leveling each dragon will take longer. You will also constantly feel like your dragons are capped. However, you will be able to hold your own, have many different dragons to choose from depending on what the base looks like, and you will be able to more actively hold you own and be a contributing member to your team. If you want a cheap roster, you will find that you can save a lot more tokens in the long run which is especially good if you need to play catch up with your dragons or if you're a paying player who is building fast and want to get to that end tier as soon as possible, but you'll require a lot of help from your team and won't be nearly as self sufficient when it comes to flying. Personally, I find having a strong roster makes the game much more enjoyable.

Please note that in the Sapphire and Garnet tiers, there are very few possible combinations and each are exceptionally expensive. For this reason, I personally recommend for beginning players that one stay as cheap as possible for the long run. The longer the game is out, the better chances we have for more options. For most advanced players who are already in Garnet and Sapphire, go for efficiency in dragons and time - get the dragons you need now.
    Let's Get Started!

Let's get started making a path! We have our supplies ready, we have what type of path we want in mind, and now we are ready to make a path that is custom molded to exactly what kind of dragons and roster we have. So, where do we start?

Always, always, always start at the very end.

Find the very last dragon (that is currently released) and work backwards. The newer the dragon, the less options there are so this is the best place to start. At the moment of posting, the best dragon that has been officially released is Aquileas and Austeros, the Mythic Garnet Sorcerer. Go to Amoeba's amazing website, type in that name (no not click any checkboxes), and we will see the breeding options available. On my piece of paper, write down all the information we can. For this dragon(s), we only have one options so I would write down:

Aquileas and Austeros
    Frostbiter + Zaru = Sekhem (51%), Chompa (7%), Apophet (7%), Zaru (10%), Frostbiter (10%), Aquileas and Austeros (10%) || Cost: 214,500

Why write down all the extra dragons? Well since we are starting at the end, we don't know which dragons we will have at this point other than the parents required. Since Frostbiter and Zaru are the parents, we would cross out those two on the offspring list. Since they are the only two parents as well, we know exactly where we have to look next! So let's type in each of their names and write down all the information we are given, remembering to eliminate the parents from our list.

Frostbiter
    Sekhem + Hauheset = Vulcan (73%), Frostbiter (9%) || Cost: 143,500

Zaru
    Anapa + Mehaten = Zaru (9%) || Cost: 143,500

Alright, again we see that we only have one options for each dragon, so let's do the same process again, this time looking for how to breeding Sekhem, Hauheset, Anapa, and Mehaten. When we do this step, however, we need to make sure we eliminate Frostbiter, Zaru, and A&A as parents since we know we cannot use them as parents without these dragons. Our results are as follows:

Skehem
    Avalanche + Jul = Sekhem (71%), Anapa (7%) || Cost: 13,928
    Vulcan + Kelvin = Sekhem (8%) || Cost: 125,000

Hauheset
    Scorchil + Iteru = Nosfer (51%), Necura (10%), Quetz (12%), Hauheset (10%) || Cost: 195,000

Anapa
    Avalanche + Renard = Anapa (80%) || Cost: 12,500
    Avalanche + Ursa = Anapa (70%), Apophet (10%) || Cost: 14,285
    Kelvin + Kaiju = Kulan (72%), Anapa (8%) || Cost: 125,000
    Avalanche + Jul = Sekhem (71%), Anapa (7%) || Cost: 130,000

Mehaten
    Chompa + Gorgonus = Cerbero (61%), Kelvin (12%), Mehaten (10%) || Cost: 195,000
    Jul + Renard = Chimpa (71%), Mehaten (10%) || Cost: 200,000

You can clearly see that some dragons are giving us multiple options, while some are giving us just one. I like to explore the path that has the most constraints first, which is breeding Hauheset in this case as there is no other way to get him right now other than to breed Scorchil and Iteru together. Let's explore this trail until we find a point where we have more options.

Scorchil
    Vulcan + Rizar = Jagra (64%), Necura (8%), Scorchil (8%) || Cost: 125,000

Iteru
    Quetz + Rizar = Jagra (72%), Iteru (8%) || Cost: 125,000

Again we have two dragons that only have one set of parents. At this point we are down into the Platinum Legendaries, where I know there are many more breeding options compared to the Garnet and Sapphire Tiers. So far, though, we have laid out a very clear and definitive part in our line to the end goal, A&A:
    Vulcan + Rizar = Scorchil
    Quetz + Rizar = Iteru
    Scorchil + Iteru = Hauheset
    ? + ? = Sekhem
    Sekhem + Hauheset = Frostbiter

This path simply cannot change and our goal doesn't matter. However, the deeper we dive into the path, the more and more options we get. So how do we make those decisions?
    Last edited by EggToken; 02-08-2017, 05:01 PM.
    Love Red,

Leader of Rulith
    Lover of Spreadsheets

Helpful Threads:
    How to Build YOUR Ultimate Breeding Path
    Red's Breeding Paths: Sapphire to Emerald

Rulith's Website:
    All Breeding Paths
    Red's Guide to Flying Hunters
    Dragon's, etc.

Social:
    Twitter - @TheRedDelilah
    Twitch

Making Decisions For Your Goal

Remember talking about breeding path goals? Now is when we have to really factor that in. Before we get started, let me state the following facts:
    • Legendary Platinum Dragons can be bred 2 at a time for about 64,000 tokens
      • Since there are five legendary platinum dragons, we can take away from the idea that we can breed 4/5 for 128,000 tokens. Instead of breeding the fifth dragon outright, we should plan on back breeding this dragon later using Sapphire Dragons. This works for both Cheap and Strong Rosters.
    • Knowing your preference for dragon types will change how you feel about back breeding, and will help you make decisions.
      • I prefer hunters, like a large majority of players, so I would rather "pay" full price for a hunter and wait a little longer to back breed a warrior for instance. Know what your preferred dragon type is, and use that to help make your decisions.
    • You need Legendary Platinum dragons to get Sapphire Dragons.

If your goal is the cheapest overall cost, you will keep your eyes on those low cost options and explore them as deep as they will go. You won't be able to back breed everything, not by a long shot, but it is possible to find the cheapest path this way, just remember the downsides to the cheap cost. For the strong roster, you will see how low of a level you can be to acquire the dragons you want and need. A very easy example is Sekhem's breeding choices, listed again below for your convenience:

Skehem
    Avalanche + Jul = Sekhem (71%), Anapa (7%) || Cost: 13,928
    Vulcan + Kelvin = Sekhem (8%) || Cost: 125,000

Cheap: The top option of Avalanche and Jul is significantly cheaper, and requires two Legendary Garnet Dragons to be breedable. Looking at the dragon information Amoeba provides, we know the following:
    • Avalanche and Jul are breedable at level 12
    • Leveling a Legendary Garnet to level 12 requires Den level 31
    • Den level 31 requires player level 154

Strong: The bottom option of Vulcan and Kelvin is significantly more expensive, and requires two Legendary Platinum dragons to be breedable. Again looking at the dragon information Amoeba provides, we know the following:
    • Vulcan and Kelvin are breedable at level 12
    • Leveling a Legendary Platinum to level 12 requires Den level 22
    • Den level 22 requires player level 10

Looking at these two options, you can see the pros and cons of both cheap and strong dragons listed very clearly. Remember to take these things into account when you're building your path. When I make decisions, I will often figure out what level I have to be for each option and let that help me along.
    Final Words of Advice
    • Anything worth having isn't easy. If you want a breeding path that is custom fit to what dragons you like, what dragons you have, and with the goal you want, it will take you some time. Don't think this will happen in 20 minutes - it will take time and effort. The lower tier you are in, the more time it will take. I promise you it will be worth it, though.
    • Ask for help and advice. Two heads is better than one. If you find yourself stuck or at a difficult decision, use your resources. There are people on the forums and in game who have been playing a long, long time. If you want to know which dragon is better to breed first, which dragons are fun to fly, or how two dragons compare - ask! Use the information available to you.
    • Don't believe everything you read in LC or on the forums. Yes, I say that realizing that I am also posting on the forums. Remember that opinions are like assholes - everyone has one. Just because someone in LC or on the forums says something about a certain dragon, don't immediately take that as fact. Instead, let it open your mind to look into it more. Perhaps that dragon is actually shit, or perhaps that person just cant fucking fly.
    • Someone has done it before, both better and worse than you. Learn from them. Remember that sometimes older players can be stuck in their ways due to stubbornness, but sometimes they are so set in their ways because they have made the mistakes already and have been exactly where they are telling you not to go.
    • Don't be a dick. Your path has you in mind, so don't be a dick and put others down because they want to try something different. Instead listen to them, have intelligent conversations, and try to learn something from it. You may figure out a section of breeding that make so much sense and you have no idea how you missed it, and sometimes you'll realize there really are just morons out there. Either way, don't be a dick about it. Loudly voicing one's opinion isn't necessarily a sign of intelligence, and you can't argue with stupid.

The End

At the end of it all, I hope you have taken something positive away from this post and I hope we can learn more together. The only way to get better at something is to try it. If you have suggestions on how I can improve my introduction to making breeding paths, please post away. Let's keep it positive with a good goal in mind.

Lastly, if you have taken the time to read this post because you legitimately want to learn how to make your own breeding paths, I applaud you. I've made so many breeding paths with spreadsheets upon spreadsheets that I have lost count - each one taking me longer than I care to admit. While I would prefer if people learn on their own how to make the best fit for themselves, I will once again share with the war dragons community my paths. You can find them on my team website here. I urge you to not let others take the easy way out and simply point them to this thread. If they want to take the time to learn, let them find the link here as you did. My paths were made with the goal of strength and clever progression in mind, as that is what makes the game fun for me, but remember they may not be the best fit for you. Thank you for being patient with me as I struggled with my own avoidance with burnout and need to have a sense of control over a game that is often time chaotic.

Thank you for your time, and happy flying.

March 8th Edit - Using Mystic Fragments

Mystic Fragments
    With these popping up in chests and rewards, knowing when to use them ideally is key. Honestly, I use them nearly every breeding event for the points and because saving 125,000-231,000 tokens in four weeks is sometimes a struggle depending on which step I am on. However, there areideal places to use these little blue dudes. This comes down to Cost per Frag for tokens. The numbers below are how many egg tokens it costs for one fragment. The higher the cost per fragment, the better it is to use a Mystic Fragment unless you are backbreeding that dragon.

Red: Rare (102)
    Purple: Rare (200), Epic (200)
    Blue: Rare (400), Epic (410)
    Orange: Epic (166), Legendary (400 Amarok /800 Noss)
    Green: Rare (205), Epic (267), Legendary (267)
    Gold: Rare (267), Epic (267), Legendary (400)
    Platinum: Rare (260), Epic (200), Legendary (160)
    Sapphire: Legendary (250), Mythic (195)
    Garnet: Legendary (205), Mythic (195)
    April 6th Edit - Emeralds, baby

Alright, the Emerald's are out and our favorite person, the lovely Amoeba, has updated his site. The Emerald's themselves are relatively easy breeding wise, but remember that we have NO idea who will breed the mythics. So, if you're not quite to Emerald's yet, see that as a blessing in disguise. Even so, I've put together some paths for Sapphire-Emerald. Each path obtains all three Garnet Mythics and all six Emerald Legendaries and assume that you have all dragons through Platinum except Quetz. Here are some of my paths (there are others, depending on how you want to start, but these were the cheapest I've done so far) and the order in which you get the Garnets and Emeralds. Please note that the Garnets and Emerald's are obtained in a mixed order, and I am just listing which of each tier comes first, etc.

Icicle Start 1 || 2,548,054 tokens
    Icicle, Gloom, A&A
    Ferga, Kyrule, Pyrochis, Deci, Slax, Kerbos

Icicle Start 2 || 2,784,937
    Icicle, Gloom A&A
    Ferga, Kyrule, Pyrochis, Deci, Slax, Kerbos

A&A Start || 2,800,866 tokens
    A&A, Icicle, Gloom
    Deci, Kerbos, Kyrule, Ferga, Slax, Pyrochis

Gloom Start || 2,975,381 tokens
    Gloom, Icicle, A&A
    Ferga, Pyrochis, Deci, Kyrule, Slax, Kerbos

If you're someone who likes making breeding paths, let's sit down and chat. I love breeding paths! As per usual, make sure you read my original post first <3
    Last edited by TheRedDelilah; 04-09-2017, 02:27 PM.
    Love Red,

Leader of Rulith
    Lover of Spreadsheets

Helpful Threads:

Rulith's Website:
    All Breeding Paths
    Dragon's, etc.

Social:
    Twitter - @TheRedDelilah
    Twitch

Comment

• TheRedDelilah
      TheRedDelilah commented
      Editing a comment
      Another comment about Mystic Frags:

If you're breeding say Mune (Plat rare) and Jagra (play epic) at the same time, I would use tokens until you get Mune's egg. The reason is that Mune costs 31k tokens or so, while Jagra is 39k.

When you have one breed that gives you Rare while another gives you epic, use the mystic fragments on the Platinum Rare since it has a higher token cost per fragment.

When you have the same cost for your eggs, split evenly.

EggToken, Matcava - seriously could we please check the permissions in this forum for posting any sort of basic, forum code. I have a feeling permissions to use BBCode are not enabled in this sub forum. The formatting I did will look clean and easy to read if it actually works the way it should...
    Love Red,

Leader of Rulith
    Lover of Spreadsheets

Helpful Threads:

Rulith's Website:
    All Breeding Paths
    Dragon's, etc.

Social:
    Twitter - @TheRedDelilah
    Twitch

Comment

• Spooky
      Spooky commented
      Editing a comment
      BBCode has not worked at all in this forum for the 8 months or so I've been here.

Another option: ask a mod to move the thread to General Discussion. BBCode works there and you'll get more views in that forum I bet.

EggToken
    PGJared

[user] lol Red [user]

yay. Brackets.

Comment

@TheRedDelilah
      You need a pic. Slacker.

Comment

[user] spam thread hijacker post derailer troll stalker [user]

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to not only calculate paths but for also detailing the methods in this thread.

Comment

Thanks for this. I'm sure it will be very helpful to many!

Comment

Awesome post Red. There are many breeding paths out there, and most of them are very good and well thought out, but there are differences too. This thread shows that none are "better" than the others...there is no "singular best path", and that the best path depends on your play style and goals. You explain how to pick the best one for you, very nicely done.
              _____________🗡🐥🔪_____________

Comment

Red great job taking the time to put your knowledge on the forums so that maybe others can not only use it, but maybe even apply it to future dragons.

Comment

Red, Thanks for sharing your opinion. I prefer to follow your breeding path, easy to know which level need to get dragons.

TheRedDelilah This is why i ask you share your breeding Path, atleast to me.

Comment

I looked into why the formatting wasn't working, and it turns out that BB Code just wasn't toggled on for the Breeding, Training and Spells sub-forum. As you can tell, it should work now. Perhaps this was one of the more newly added sub-forums? Anyhow. Enjoy!

Comment

• MareZ
                      MareZ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks a lot EggToken! Great that someone found the switch after so many years (I started over a year ago and this forum already existed)

Thank you so much Red, really good thread!
                    Winners find solutions, losers find excuses.

Comment

Update: Added a section about picking which order you'd like to go in for Mythic Garnets!

As always, let me know if you have any questions, comments, or good jokes!
                      Love Red,

Leader of Rulith
                      Lover of Spreadsheets

Helpful Threads:

Rulith's Website:
                      All Breeding Paths
                      Dragon's, etc.

Social:
                      Twitter - @TheRedDelilah
                      Twitch

Comment

March 8th Edit - The Free Player's Path, Using Mystic Fragments

After much discussion and going over what I was going to do with my free level 113 account for Sapphire and Garnet, there is an "ideal" path for those of you like me who detest warriors and where 500k tokens is a fuck ton that won't happen. This path, my favorite, skips Mehaten, his sapphire parents Chompa and Gorgonus, Gloomclaw, and his garnet parents Avalanche and Renard. This path costs 1,932,954 tokens.

Warriors on the high end of the scale are the weakest class when it comes to war, defended bases in general, and high level well thought out bases. Hunters have high and fast damage that can kill a tower before hammers take it down and sorcerers have bad ass spells which makes them the more appropriate followup dragon. Additionally, with the seasons giving one "regular" warrior each with this past winter one also giving Algor, there is no reason to also breed traditional warriors in Sapphire and Garnet even if you do like the class. Mehaten (Sapphire Mythic Warrior) is pretty to fly, but can do relatively little versus Hauheset (Sapphire Mythic Hunter). I can't speak for Gloomclaw versus Icicle, because I don't have those. Anyway, I digress. Just know this lovely path exists.

Mystic Fragments
                        With these popping up in chests and rewards, knowing when to use them ideally is key. Honestly, I use them nearly every breeding event for the points and because saving 125,000-231,000 tokens in four weeks is sometimes a struggle depending on which step I am on. However, there areideal places to use these little blue dudes. This comes down to Cost per Frag for tokens. The numbers below are how many egg tokens it costs for one fragment. The higher the cost per fragment, the better it is to use a Mystic Fragment unless you are backbreeding that dragon.

Red: Rare (102)
                        Purple: Rare (200), Epic (200)
                        Blue: Rare (400), Epic (410)
                        Orange: Epic (166), Legendary (400 Amarok /800 Noss)
                        Green: Rare (205), Epic (267), Legendary (267)
                        Gold: Rare (267), Epic (267), Legendary (400)
                        Platinum: Rare (260), Epic (200), Legendary (160)
                        Sapphire: Legendary (250), Mythic (195)
                        Garnet: Legendary (205), Mythic (195)
                        Last edited by TheRedDelilah; 03-08-2017, 09:46 AM.
                        Love Red,

Leader of Rulith
                        Lover of Spreadsheets

Helpful Threads:

Rulith's Website:
                        All Breeding Paths
                        Dragon's, etc.

Social:
                        Twitter - @TheRedDelilah
                        Twitch

Comment

• Mechengg
                          Mechengg commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That is exactly what i do Red when i am breeding "unevenly". Use tokens until i get one bred, then i use fragments for the remaining portion of the egg. It is a great strategy for efficient use of your fragments. You definitely get better "bang for your buck" using fragments on either uneven breedings or on single dragon breedings where you are only going after a single dragon and don't need additional research eggs.

For example i'm using 120 fragments for Kulan next event, then saving my tokens for breeding Quetz/Kelvin at the end of the event.

• MareZ
                          MareZ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Oh yeah TheRedDelilah I read that, it's good you pointed it out. I just found the Legendary (400) a bit misleading since it's correct math but impossible to happen in the scenario of 2-pair legendaries costing the same amount of tokens.
                          But of cause it's still not bad splitting them on both legendaries to actually save 200 tokens per pop.

For any 2/3/4 pair breeds with different token costs I agree with both of you, it's the best strategy to finish all but one and use Mystic Frags to finish the last one (if you don't need the research eggs).

Sigh... so many variables, it just makes everything more complicated with research and backbreeds. There are so many ways to use those blue things wrong especially for new players that can end up having to spend even more egg tokens in the end.

• MareZ
                          MareZ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I did this rather sloppy and didn't check if the lower tier breeds were evenly split, I think most are uneven so it makes sense to use Mystic Frags to finish the last egg... so this would be my recommendation, but there might be some errors in this:

Red: inefficient Cost per Frag
                          Purple: inefficient due to fast breeding time, rather save them to breed faster at higher tiers
                          Blue: Rare (400), Epic (410): for finishing off the last egg
                          Orange: inefficient due to cheap backbreeds and available rare blue research eggs
                          Green: Rare (205), Epic (267), Legendary (267): for finishing off the last egg
                          Gold: inefficient due to available rare green research eggs
                          Platinum: Rare (260), Epic (200): for finishing off the last egg; Legendary: inefficient Cost per Frag
                          Sapphire: Legendary (250), Mythic (195): watch builder hut egg requirement when breeding Mythic and using Mystic Frags!
                          Garnet: Legendary (205), Mythic (195): watch builder hut egg requirement when breeding Legendary and using Mystic Frags!
                      Working...
                      X