Announcement

Collapse

New Forums are now up!

Greetings Dragon Lords! Please visit our new forums at http://forums.wardragons.com! We're leaving this old forum up for a period of time to allow players to migrate over any important posts, but will eventually close them out. Please note that you will need to log in using your PocketID over on the new forum. You can also access them through the game by tapping on Settings > Forums!
See more
See less

My Base - Help me Optimize!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechengg

I like the set-up you just posted. I would make a change, however. Switch your 29 fire turret and 22 Ice turret on your first and last islands. The ice turret protecting those mages won't do much but the fire tower super shot has a chance to make a difference. Similarly, the ice turret on the farms would do more than the fire turret would.

Lastly, my advice about building short bases:

Level your mages
    Level your storm

If your mages (on the long island) are bigger than your actual towers, players will be so focused on trying to take down the mages while getting their rage sapped and since they have more HP, it will take them longer to take down the mages which means more hits get in from the rest of your towers. Alternatively, if they try to ignore the mages, they cannot use the spells which make dragon better. Up those mages baby.
    Love Red,

Leader of Rulith
    Lover of Spreadsheets

Helpful Threads:
    How to Build YOUR Ultimate Breeding Path
    Red's Breeding Paths: Sapphire to Emerald

Rulith's Website:
    All Breeding Paths
    Red's Guide to Flying Hunters
    Dragon's, etc.

Social:
    Twitter - @TheRedDelilah
    Twitch

Comment

• Mechengg
      Mechengg commented
      Editing a comment
      Of yeah with you defending, the supershots go off immediately and storm protects immediately so skarr is a little bit dead in the water, as is any other dragon that relies on rage.

I might flip my base setup from left to right to protect that ice tower a bit better, it's either protect fire or ice and ice is a bit better for keeping other towers safe.

What do you think about the position of my fire turret as first row on the back half? Is it too late? It needs spool up time to fire so hopefully they aren't paying attention to it and just focusing on killing other towers so it can get a shot off right?

• TheRedDelilah
      TheRedDelilah commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, my base is squished undefended and does alright defended.

I think the position of it will depend. Watch some replays and have people attack you with various dragons.

• Mechengg
      Mechengg commented
      Editing a comment
      Will do! Thanks for the help

If you need anything (not that i can help much) let me know, I am always good for returning favors

With this addition of this new "Flak Cannon" i'm glad that my treb is only a level 14 currently and is the last one i planned to upgrade. If the new cannon has super high power close range attack (good for short high powered bases) AND a treb stun included, it is most definitely being built up to max i can do during this event ASAFP

Comment

UPDATE
      I have chosen NOT to keep upgrading my Trebuchet in lieu of getting a dark flak cannon instead. The low DPS of the trebuchet was really not sitting well with me so when this stun/high dps tower came across it was my saving grace choosing between a base that was better defended solo or AI. This new tower has the best of both worlds so it seems.
      Also i do have a storm tower, it is in storage since it's only a level 25. I'll see if i need to pull it into use for wars or when i'm online to defend.

So i've built my Dark Flak Cannon up to 28 so far during this event and have the elements to get it up to 31. Here are some initial reactions:
      - The range is not good, so the only real usable spot to place it is at the very very front spot on your island. Anything else and it gets blown away before you can fire
      - Attack and special attack are ridiculously high, double a fire turret at a few levels lower
      - Tower fires very fast and takes very good chunks of health off with each shot
      - I can finally feel a bit safer against Skarr attacks, my base can now take down a level 15 boosted skarr undefended most of the time. there is only one time this hasn't happened so far. It should get better with leveling the tower up more

New Layout
      http://amoebastudios.com/dragon/Base.html?id=KJPS57RZ
      (flak is front of island, totem is still with farms/mills for now since i need fire turret for dps on first half of island)

Benefits:
      - Runes on first half of island are all archer related (3x legendary, 1x epic, 1x rare). Archer is never focused 100% of the time with the dark turret and fire turret so it absolutely destroys incoming dragons
      - When defending the dark flak cannon can stun the dragon very shortly after it has turned the corner, range decrease has minimal effect in this location
      - No matter what they focus they get completely screwed over: If they focus flak then mages drain them, turret and archer hit them hard, if they focus mages, then all 3 dps towers hit them hard, if they focus turret they get stunned then dps hits them hard, if they focus archer....oh wait they never do that.
      - Having the lightning in such a way keeps them "adjacent" and gives them a bias towards dps on the first half of the island which is very very nice. With 5x lightning runes on the back half (1x mythic, 2x legendary, 1x epic, 1x rare) these lightning towers hit hard and very very fast.
      - Red mage at the end prevents red add on spells from being cast, since dragons are 100% drained of rage with this new setup. The only add on which may help attackers is Cloak so they can bypass the dps towers and get mills/farms to get 70%, but this prevents 5 flame war runs i am seeing.

Again it's probably not perfect, but it detracts a lot of attention and has a decent success rate so far. I'll see how it holds up in wars but i'm done leveling for quite a while until my legendary platinums are hatched and leveled to breeding (need level 108 for that as next step).

Comment

• MareZ
        MareZ commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice layout!
        Two thoughts about your storm:
        I would put the totem next to your base and put the storm from your storage on the small island to protect/distract from the farms, the front farms most likely will have to be skipped and a second dragon needs to be used, the shield can also protect against some red spells.
        Once the storm is higher, you could decide to swap it with the fire turret in the back of your middle island to have a powerful combo with the ice and a visual distraction along with making your middle island much harder to overcome with one dragon.

• Mechengg
        Mechengg commented
        Editing a comment
        Deal, that seems like a good place for it and path forward.

• Mechengg
        Mechengg commented
        Editing a comment
        Some big raiders coming through my base today. Have taken down the following:
        - Level 30 Skarr full boosted (defending myself - 44% base defeated when he was downed)
        - Level 30 Kaiju full boosted (AI - 20% base defeated when he was downed)
        - Level 28 Quetz full boosted (AI - 42% base defeated when he was downed)

Overall they have taken out other huge dragons to finish me off, but I don't think these raiders expected quite this much umphh coming from a tiny level 103. It makes a big difference if they kill the flak tower first or not. That is the difference between the 20% and 40% runs is if they killed the flak tower before it started firing or not.

Mechengg : omg, Im glad somebody has similar thought of having few mages "minions" at the little island before the long island. I had similar thinking to completely (hopefully) drained enemy dragon's rage before it approached the main island. My thought at that time was because mages fire very fast and two of them may not enough (because perhaps only one being activated by AI. Note: I designed my base for passive defense due to my internet lag. So often if I try to defend, all my supershots ended up wasted due to 'network delay').
      But I was afraid to ask my teammates about the mage "minions" idea because I was afraid they would think I was silly. Haha.

Anyway, I would like to hear your report on the effectiveness of those mage "minions" because I havent have the chance to realize it. Thank you in advance.

Comment

• Mechengg
        Mechengg commented
        Editing a comment
        Honestly a lot of players using skarr get zero rage taken off on that initial island since all the towers are such a low level. The only benefit i've seen is if a weak player starts and they get a big guy to follow to farm me. Otherwise it simply gives the defenders a bit of time to prepare shots and buffs and wait for "network delays"

Whats your ingame name or in which team are you in for the moment. Just interested because i want look for

Comment

• EmrahT
        EmrahT commented
        Editing a comment
        yea thanks just remember when you started firstly... when i read about that near max platin dragon , i was a bit suprised ^^

• Mechengg
        Mechengg commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol

Yeah this breeding event i get Quetz & Kelvin when i'm level 104, the lowest you can possibly get them is 102 so i'm either ahead on dragons or behind on level

• EmrahT
        EmrahT commented
        Editing a comment
        oho not bad i got my first platin after level 90 aswell ... just in time... so i got with cerbero and mune , kaiju + kelvin... i guess just a bit over 90 i had kaiju... and was happy when i was 96, so he was able for more xD not just capped at level 4 ^^

Mechengg

The question I have is what did you design your base to be?
      AI base or PVP base?

Comment

• Mechengg
        Mechengg commented
        Editing a comment
        80% AI
        20% Active defenders

• PlayerJ
        PlayerJ commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah!
        I was wondering.
        It does seem like an AI base for sure.

• Mechengg
        Mechengg commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't get me wrong it does wonders if actively defended as well. Very impressed over it's original arrangement in post 1

Here is a loadout of the runes/glyphs that i'm currently using. Seems to be the best bang for my buck since the only other towers that are affected by runes are mage towers (red and blue). Too bad ice/fire/flak don't have runes yet, however this does bump up the deadliness of my standard towers by a significant amount.

ARCHER (+81% supershot / +8.4% speed)
      WD4.png

LIGHTNING (+105% supershot / +6% speed)
      WD3.png
      Last edited by Mechengg; 04-03-2017, 11:41 AM. Reason: Oops had an outdated screenshot, updated

Comment

• Aurino526
        Aurino526 commented
        Editing a comment
        Did your defense power visually increase after you equip these runes, Mechengg? I always curious whether the def power we saw is before or after equipping runes.

• Mechengg
        Mechengg commented
        Editing a comment
        Absolutely. Big power increase for sure

The set up you have is better than your original post 1.
      I didn't like your set up on post 1 at all.

Keep 1 thing in mind though, Your base isn't made for PVP.
      Now that doesn't mean your base can't kill people with defenders.
      I'm sure it can.

Your tower levels are extremely high.
      You have tons of heavy health units.
      You will do some damage with people defending.

However, It is a byproduct of having huge tower levels + heavy attacking units.
      The defenders literally aren't the ones defending it.
      The reason I say this is because your base is missing the main defending units which people use for PVP.

Storm & Trebuchet towers have weaknesses.
      However, Storm & Trebuchet towers are used for there super shots which active defenders can use to help defend your heavy hitting units.
      The issue is these units are not ideal on AI set up bases.
      The main reason is because the AI computer doesn't prioritize their super shots like a human would.
      The result is you have a low attacking unit which isn't getting super shot by AI.

For these reasons, I asked you what type of base you are making..
      Your based looked like an AI base from my initial observation.
      However, I was just wanting to know if that was intended.
      You said your base is mostly for 80% AI.
      Thus, you should stick with your no Storm & Trebuchet policy.

I like to keep my defense idea's close to the vest.
      I don't really like to share my idea's with other people outside of my team.
      However, You are making an AI base.
      It is safe to say I wouldn't be helping a person.
      I would only be helping the AI computer.

I fiddled around with Amoeba Lay out sight.
      I came up with a set up which might be ok for an AI
      However, It could be just personal preference.
      It isn't a PVP base though.
      I don't think it would be the greatest PVP wise.

http://amoebastudios.com/dragon/Base.html?id=KJPS57RZ

Of course, you can ignore it if you want too.
      Amoeba site doesn't have Totems.
      So you would have to move Totem near the single farm on section 2.
      Last edited by PlayerJ; 04-03-2017, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• PlayerJ
        PlayerJ commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, Mechengg!

Your 3 weeks behind brother.
        I updated my Totem guide with the new dragon types as soon as Spring Season came out.

http://wardragons.pocketgems.com/for...em-guide/page2

The only ones I am missing are the Hunter + Mythical Hunter.
        I plan to update them today or tomorrow when they come out.
        They should be coming out this week.

• Mechengg
        Mechengg commented
        Editing a comment
        I was being facetious about the totem guide. I am NOT dropping Skarr/Tarand/Algor protection for Fae/Snowdrop/Sage protection until i start seeing them as the main raiding dragons coming through my base.

• PlayerJ
        PlayerJ commented
        Editing a comment
        lol

I didn't realize you was being facetious.
        I thought you was trying to make a crack shot at me by saying I didn't upgrade my Totem Guide.

Yeah, I would keep your Totem Ice if Skarr & Tarand is the main dragons you see.
        Should only change the Totem when you begin seeing the other dragon types more heavily.

Upcoming plans for tomorrow's breeding event:

Blue Mage 28 -> 32
      Flak Cannon 31 -> 33
      Ice Turret 30 -> 31
      Archer 31 -> 32

ENDING LAYOUT: http://amoebastudios.com/dragon/Base.html?id=tylQOorL

Anybody have any thoughts on if i should do something differently? Should end up gaining 6 levels so not the end of the world at all. Still staying at a reasonably low level.
      Last edited by Mechengg; 04-20-2017, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• MareZ
        MareZ commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry I think this was a misunderstanding as I only looked at your link, you said you will take the blue mage to 32 so I agree that this is a good idea.
        The layout I see also has 3 lightnings in the back so you would still have two left that can boost each other but the storm will make the island much easier to defend. If you only have two lightnings there might be an error in the layout you posted, I agree that one lightning by itself doesn't make too much sense.
        Last edited by MareZ; 04-20-2017, 11:54 PM.

• Mechengg
        Mechengg commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmm weird, me clicking on the links shows it just fine for me. Just to confirm my layout consists on an ice tower with mages on dead man's isle, then long middle starts off blue32, flak33, fire30, red28, Archer32, ice31, lightning30, fire30, lightning27, red22.

Maybe the second fire is showing up as a lightning for you?

• MareZ
        MareZ commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmm okay my bad, maybe it was just me seeing the fire as a lightning, maybe I'm going crazy lmao
        Anyway, layout looks good, I'd just only put mages on the first small island to not give a rage filler to the attacker

UPDATE:

So i'm sticking to level 114 right now, after breeding event i should have enough platinum eggs to upgrade my builder hut 3x, yielding a huge jump in farm/mill levels so i don't have to level my base, only very very low XP buildings. I wanted to see just how much that would skew my base defeat % and the results actually were more surprising than i anticipated. See below for the exact same layout with just me upgrading my farms from level 29 to 39 during next fort event.

I'm going to be very happy with the end result i believe, i need to save 3 farms (only 1 can be defeated) rather than having to save all farms plus the storm tower. The sheer amount of health that these higher level farms have will prevent a lot of dragons from being able to kill more than a single one unless spell add ons are used such as death gaze.

This will be interesting to see how my defends improve after the change! Looking forward to updating you guys later on.

Let me know your thoughts and if this is what you expected as well

Level 29 farms (69% of base defeated before farms)

Level 39 farms (46% of base defeated before farms)

EDIT:
      Might actually sneak up to level 120, "MareZ" and "itsjustjoe" may have convinced me. In which case i should upgrade the first half of my island a wee bit. I think fire turret will wait, tarand's resist makes me want to upgrade the other towers first then catch up with the fire turrets since the supershot is the same at any level
      - Flak 33 -> 35
      - Archer 32 -> 34
      - Blue Mage 30 -> 32
      - Red Mage 28 -> 30

http://amoebastudios.com/dragon/Base.html?id=2mav9Ll9
      Last edited by Mechengg; 05-05-2017, 03:08 PM.

Comment

• Mechengg
        Mechengg commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol the idea was 100% taken as an example from the one that you linked!

It wasn't worth me to take a look into the references and coding and make changes/updates since there were so many errors that i found in the original file and the fact that I am only going to use this a handful of times. Nothing was lining up properly when i attempted to use it so I just used hard values manually input from the game and used excel to do the % calculations and totals lol. Way more basic than the reference tables and research adds.

Thanks for your work on the original file man!! Excellent concept and I definitely copied the layout idea with some minor tweaks.

• MareZ
        MareZ commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool stuff
        I mainly programmed mine to design my base layout and calculate which towers I need to upgrade to reach a desired level. The time I made it was when I was in the 60s and wanted a strong layout to hit the 84 milestone

The whole Defense/DPS/HP values with factured in researches and runes came from Mortium.

• Mechengg
        Mechengg commented
        Editing a comment
        Edited post above:

Might actually sneak up to level 120, "MareZ" and "itsjustjoe" may have convinced me. In which case i should upgrade the first half of my island a wee bit. *I think fire turret will wait, tarand's resist makes me want to upgrade the other towers first then catch up with the fire turrets since the supershot is the same at any level
        - Flak 33 -> 35
        - Archer 32 -> 34
        - Blue Mage 30 -> 32
        - Red Mage 28 -> 30

http://amoebastudios.com/dragon/Base.html?id=2mav9Ll9

Update

Fortification event went over very well for myself, i'm very happy with the outcome both points wise and base wise.

New Layout (114 -> 122)
      http://amoebastudios.com/dragon/Base.html?id=ESH0J3cR

Defense
      - Dark Flak............33->35
      - Archer.................32->33
      - Blue Mage...........30->32
      - Fire Turret...........30->31
      - Perch (1).............26->30
      - Farms/Mills (x4)...29->39
      - Bunch of Mages on initial island up to 10
      - Stored my Ice on initial island, people may sometimes leave it and use a next drag with ice turret resist to build up rage

Home Base
      - Den.....................23->24
      - Storage................38->40
      - Builder Hut...........24->25

Wound up with 1.53M points in event, only used around 196 days of speedups so i have some leftovers for breeding event.

Last edited by Mechengg; 06-06-2017, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Had a few wars recently and the last one actually went pretty well for my base. Only had 1 flame from a level 168 backed by a 206. Two of the runs were as below

Apophet lvl16 & Sage lvl35
        Nightshade lvl30 & Nightshade lvl30

Last edited by Mechengg; 06-06-2017, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Nuffle
          Mr. Nuffle commented
          Editing a comment
          pretty sure it is a forum issue and not a YOU-issue

Im not seeing images either.

Could be an "Us-Issue" though !

• MareZ
          MareZ commented
          Editing a comment
          It is a forum issue. Try using a hosting website and embed/post the link here

• Mechengg
          Mechengg commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah i did that above, guess i can do that for this post as well lol

Plan to level up only 3 levels during fort event to uncap a few dragons since nearly everyone important is capped already. Still keeping a low profile, low level and still planning for hauheset before i get out of my 120's. It is going to be so hard to not level the two events after this

http://amoebastudios.com/dragon/Base.html?id=tFB1y6QQ

Comment

• MareZ
          MareZ commented
          Editing a comment
          You might want to aim for lvl158 sooner or later to expert your Hauheset.
          I can guarantee it's well worth it, an expert Hau can make you an important leader for war runs against some really big bases

• Mechengg
          Mechengg commented
          Editing a comment
          I haven't gotten him yet, still 400k tokens to go lol.

Scorchil then iteru then him and i only have 65k tokens saved since last event.

Once i get him i should have several years of speedups so i can shoot up extremely quickly to the levels that i need.

Updates

Breeding: Got scorchil @ level 129, have 50k eggs already saved up for Iteru. Going to keep grinding.

Wars: My base has made a level 221 and level 246 rather upset with me today after taking down a level 32 sage & level 20 skarr (level 221 guy with 61% kill percentage) and an expert sage (level 246 guy with 16% kill percentage). Sorry if that was anyone reading this (but not really sorry, it is war after all)

BASE

Currently at a boosted 11.5M defensive power @ level 129

Going for level 132/133 this next for event. Some pretty simple upgrades, no major changes at all:
        Blue Mage 32->34 (to get to level 130)
        Storage 43->44
        Flak 35->37
        Archer 35->36

http://amoebastudios.com/dragon/Base.html?id=dQCVJoQQ

Basically i'm increasing my Blue mage so that hunters have a harder time cloaking, then increasing my DPS towers to take these dragons down when i'm undefended. Yes it plays a good part while being defended as well, but it really helps during non-war times i find. Might change the archer upgrade in for one more blue mage but i'm still unsure of that at this point.

Comment

• OldtimerX
          OldtimerX commented
          Editing a comment
          MareZ - your base is prone to be an easy target for a Fae attack. But you already know it, right ?

• OldtimerX
          OldtimerX commented
          Editing a comment
          Mechengg Your blue high level mage tower is taken out in a single shot by any Tengu style dragon of this game and the rest is history. Your 11M becomes a great zero base. Look at your base again, think about Umbral Spike and you'll see what I mean. I know you guys are all in for Hunters, and you build the bases accordingly, but sorcerers are the real menace in this game. iMHO.
          Last edited by OldtimerX; 07-28-2017, 04:47 PM.

• MareZ
          MareZ commented
          Editing a comment
          OldtimerX thanks for the feedback. I did consider Fae attacks and thought about swapping my fire and blue but tbh the rare occasion when someone attacks my base with Fae mostly fail since the storm usually keeps the towers alive long enough to kill Fae as it can't shield against the Flak/Fire and by the time the front blue is down, it's too far into the island and the second blue is in range.
          From Mech's comments I also assume he is planning to build a second blue.

Mechengg I had 3 questions on your base:

1) it looks like you answered this in your post above but why don't you have a defensive tower in the front 5 of your Long Island? "then increasing my DPS towers to take these dragons down when i'm undefended."

2) why not swap the ice and the fire tower in the back 5? Especially when it's defended, the ice will still cover 6 towers, and the supershot fire will hit at the same time as the old ice turret.

3) why 2 lightning towers? You're not getting the max damage from them, and with the emergence of kinnarus, fae and Zam, it's pretty important to have another blue in the back.

I would suggest for your consideration to place a storm in the back slots of the front 5, a blue where the first lightning is and the archer where the second one is.

from reading your posts, it does seem like your configuration is bringing success for you, so congrats on making it work.

Comment

• Mechengg
          Mechengg commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey thanks for the reply!

1) There is 2 reasons why i don't have any DPS (attacking) towers there. The first is with 5 mage towers, there is a higher chance that the AI will select a mage tower for the supershot and there is a better chance that rage will be drained rather than a supershot being used on a tower such as archer or fire turret which would have a less effect on my base. With rage drained the dragons really have a hard time at the start of my long island. The second reason is that a hunter with cloak would more than likely leave the dps tower (or any other dragon would just soak the damage) and then have a long lead up for following dragons. Leaving a mage up there allows there for a chance that the mage with supershot the new dragon, or the active defenders could drain rage yet again. This is why i don't have my perch built up either, the dragon from a smart flyer would just soak the damage and gain more rage before the long island. The goal is to have less than 2 bars of rage starting the long island so they can't use shields or tstorm.

2) I wanted to "tuck" the ice turret behind the high level archer to hide it from damages right away from hunters. A dragon has to be fairly close to hit that island position, and by then the dragon is either dead or my base is in ruins anyways. I wanted to protect the ice since i can keep adding shields as a long story short

3) 2 lightning towers is due to my arrangement of towers. With such a short base the maximum i wanted was 2. If a dragon were to equip lightning resist to a dragon then that would be 3 towers they would get resist to so i was trying to vary it to keep resists up in the air. If people see 3 lightining, they automatically equip a resist. The only thing i'm currently considering is to switch my rear fire turret for a blue mage with the emergence of Zamrock's Northern Lights spell. That being said, he does have pretty shitty resists so should be dead before he is able to activate NL the first time. But i will have to see when he starts storming through my base.

I am only going consider a storm on the long island when i change my base around to a PvP or War base. I have some great ideas for these War bases but it is drastically different than my current setup. I'll keep my AI heavy base setup for right now, with the possibility of changing out the rear fire turret if i see more drags with invincibility shield plowing through.

Thanks for the comments!
      Working...
      X