Announcement

Collapse

New Forums are now up!

Greetings Dragon Lords! Please visit our new forums at http://forums.wardragons.com! We're leaving this old forum up for a period of time to allow players to migrate over any important posts, but will eventually close them out. Please note that you will need to log in using your PocketID over on the new forum. You can also access them through the game by tapping on Settings > Forums!
See more
See less

My Base - Help me Optimize!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Base - Help me Optimize!

Hey All,

I'd like some player feedback from levels 84-150ish on what i can expect to come next in my base building. Everything is on the table for discussion, all i ask is that you keep responses clear/concise and provide backup based on relevant experience from what you may know that i don't being only around for 8 months.

Here is my current base as it sits to date: http://amoebastudios.com/dragon/Base.html?id=JHWBfaFq

Notes:
    - All main base towers are maxed out (den/castle/incubator/hut/storage/research/forge/etc)
    - Farms/mills will be upgraded to 29 during fort event
    - Player level 84 and don't want to move up too much just yet (max tower level is 27 right now, 28 next level)
    - Blank space on small island is reserved for totem (i have ice/wind/fire all in storage)
    - Legendary warrior is on perch to increase farm/totem health
    - I have fragments of all sorts if required
    - First half of island is runed with 5 lightning tower applicable runes
    - Second half is runed with archer applicable runs

Plan is to max storage again when i hit 85 so i can build lvl 28 towers & 29 turrets and then just keep upgrading current towers starting with turrets -> mages -> archer -> lightning as i'm currently doing.

1) So what do you think of my base currently / can it be optimized even further?
    2) What would you recommend my next steps be for upgrading?

Thanks all!

~Mech

************************************************** ********************************
    Base Progression
    Simple straightforward collection of the different arrangements from a previous thread on Amoeba website, then my initial request through to the current itteration.

***********PREVIOUS************
    #1: (~lvl35ish @ ??? DP) http://amoebastudios.com/dragon/Base.html?id=idPN2RTK
    #2: (~lvl59ish @ 384k DP) http://amoebastudios.com/dragon/Base.html?id=gMdIhK7I
    lvl62 @ 500k DP
    lvl69 @ 816k DP
    lvl71 @ 1M DP
    lvl77 @ 1.39M DP
    lvl80 @ 1.55M DP

****START OF THIS THREAD****
    #1: (lvl84 @ 2.46M DP) http://amoebastudios.com/dragon/Base.html?id=JHWBfaFq
    #2: (lvl90 @ 3.30M DP) http://amoebastudios.com/dragon/Base.html?id=o5ESiF61
    #3: (lvl96 @ 4.4M DP) http://amoebastudios.com/dragon/Base.html?id=B9XXPcxB
    #4: (lvl105 @ 5.8M DP) http://amoebastudios.com/dragon/Base.html?id=KJPS57RZ
    #5: (lvl114 @ 7.5M DP) http://amoebastudios.com/dragon/Base.html?id=tylQOorL
    #6: (lvl122 @ 9.22M DP) http://amoebastudios.com/dragon/Base.html?id=ESH0J3cR
    #7: (lvl129 @ 11.5M DP) http://amoebastudios.com/dragon/Base.html?id=dQCVJoQQ
    #8: (lvl134 @ 14.6M DP) http://amoebastudios.com/dragon/Base.html?id=b6WxoQyW
    #9: (lvl137 @ 16.6M DP) http://amoebastudios.com/dragon/Base.html?id=OoJOctNb
    #10: (lvl142 @ 17.6M DP) http://amoebastudios.com/dragon/Base.html?id=XJmkwddc

************************************************** ********************************
    Last edited by Mechengg; 09-19-2017, 02:33 PM.

aldinach has a really good website that can help with that. Give it a look.

Comment

• Mechengg
      Mechengg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the feedback Fox. I already use that to plan out my next steps and figure out exactly what level i will grow to and how many event points i will get.

I guess i'm more requesting technical suggestions on if my tower selection is ok or if i need to say start building up a trebuchet to replace the cannon for example. I'm looking for feedback to give me suggestions on how to improve my base, it is easy to then plug that information into Aldinach's base planner

Hey Mech. It's been awhile since I've been in that level range, but here are some general thoughts.
    • You've done a good job keeping the base short with high-level towers, good strategy
    • Switch the red and blue tower on the front of your island as the blue in front will nullify any dragons with a shield immediately. Then move the red mage on your second island to the back of the island as it'll protect the whole island but take longer to be targetable by an attacker
    • In my opinion, almost any base is beatable undefended by an attacker with maxed dragons at/around your level, so generally I try to build my base to be as difficult as possible with active defenders
    • If you agree with that premise, then what your middle island is missing is a storm tower and a trebuchet (which defenders can use to great advantage, especially if a storm tower is near your ice tower, which creates a nice combined, confusing effect)
    • Again if you agree with the "build for defenders" strategy, you might put a couple of low-level mage towers on the short island in front of the long island. This allows defenders to steal rage from attackers before they come into your long island.
    • I don't think over time you want 2 fire towers, you want more diversity of attack types, not 2 of the same (with the exception of lightning because of the boost lightning provide to each other). As is, a dragon with fire and lightning resist could resist ~60% of your damage towers. Dragons with fire resist are common at higher levels, so thinking ahead, you want more diversity.
    • If you agree, over time, I'd replace one fire tower with a storm, and replace your low-level cannon with a trebuchet.

Like I said, it's been awhile since I've been in your exact situation so some of this might be a bit off. Hopefully this provides some food for thought.
    "The only winning move is not to play" first Wargames, and now War Dragons

Check out my Base/Fortification Event Planning Tool

Comment

• Mechengg
      Mechengg commented
      Editing a comment
      Much thanks for the replies. To get the discussion going here:

1) Thanks, i have read up and decided to keep it short and sweet lol

2) I actually had the blue and red switched at one point in time but i found that the warrior dragons would not shield, destroy the blue, then be able to shield for the entire island again. Right now the blue is far enough back that it both gets added HP from the ice turret's shield as well as prevents the attacker from using a shield for a long time. They either pop a shield right away and it gets nullified after 2-3 seconds, wasting their rage, or they wait 6-7 seconds until the blue mage is dead, letting them take a ton of damage in the mean time. Do you think switching to blue-red-blue would be better than red-blue-red?

3) That is something i agree with. Active defenders will definitely make or break a defense at this level.

4) I have a storm and treb at level 14 or so in storage so wouldn't take too much to level them up

5) This probably isn't a bad idea. Several level 10ish mixed mage towers would both allow defenders to buff my main island as well as get supershots ready for the attacking dragons.

6) I would also agree that someone with fire resist (tarand right now) would take quite a bit less damage, however i have put that tower there more as a psychological blocker if you will. Whenever people see a high level fire turret, they immediately want to take it down before it gets a shot off and does massive damage, so i am using it to attempt to extend the life of my lightning and mage towers as well as for time to get my ice turret supershots to activate and protect. I'm not entirely sure if it's working or not, but from replays i can see that 90% of the people attack it first when they hit me so i hope it's making a difference lol. This won't affect really good players, but hopefully it gets the majority of them. The only thing i could replace it with is the trebuchet but i'm afraid that my mage towers would then feel the brunt of the attack again and the player would end up with rage to use spells again.

7) I agree with getting rid of the cannon in the back, the only reason it is there is for shield breaking on the rear half of the island, but so far with the two high level mage towers no dragons have rage anyways to put up a shield. I think that i may re-arrange the rear of the island a bit in terms of:
      - Remove level 22 cannon
      - Move fire turret to cannon position
      - Put storm tower in middle of the island
      That would help to confuse the attacker as you said with ice and storm shields and would help tremendously at the second half of the island.

Thanks so much for your response, very insightful!
      Last edited by Mechengg; 02-13-2017, 04:27 PM.

I would throw in a totem with your farms - but your base layout looks pretty good for your level.

Comment

• Mechengg
      Mechengg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! That is the current orientation

• gaza8143
      gaza8143 commented
      Editing a comment
      Someone below suggested an ice or storm turret at farms and then totem near your base that is a better suggestion than my one

Robert M. just making sure you saw this.
    "The only winning move is not to play" first Wargames, and now War Dragons

Check out my Base/Fortification Event Planning Tool

Comment

• Robert M.
      Robert M. commented
      Editing a comment
      😑....

Clear and concise...

When you have the spare rubies to move your runes, I agree with moving the lightnings back.

You do indeed need a storm. I would swap one fire for the storm.

A treb would be good, with at least one good rune for it.

I also agree with spare mages on the second little island. It gives you a few extra seconds to set up your shots and boosts on the main power island.

Comment

• Mechengg
      Mechengg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your comments Robert! Nice and concise with good points brought up.

I can look into moving the lightnings. However i'm still not convinced that they "have a longer range". I think that this may be more due to their attack style. Normally towers notice the dragon within the set range, then they wind up their weapon, then fire the projectile. The lightning and storm are different in that I BELIEVE (not proven at all) that the lightning and beam towers see the dragons at the exact same time, however they don't have the "wind up" phase, they simply fire right away. So their attack looks like it hits from a further distance away since it hits immediately instead of the dragon moving forward still during the phase where the projectile is winding up.

I will definitely be adding one storm. That one is for sure, but whether i replace my storm or cannon is still up for debate.

I'm starting to get more on board with adding a treb as well, but i'm not sure if i want to level up that much. I'm sure that it would add a few levels to get both of these towers up to useable before deploying them so maybe this is something to revisit when i get my gold legendaries breedable for platinum (and make the jump to 90)

Sounds like spare low level mages is a good idea for a lot of reasons. Ideally they aren't necessary, but due to game lag and joining battles, it might give defenders quite a bit more time to get set up.

Great base, very nice work! aldinach and Robert already gave very valuable feedback for your middle island that I agree on, nothing to add here.

As for your small island I remember a good advice from Amoeba to put a tower there and put your totem near your home base all alone, far from the action.
    An ice tower around your farms will force the attacker to kill it first to avoid damage and also grant a shield on your high HP farms and mills. He will then have little time to kill all four mills and farms and likely has to use another dragon.
    This should also work with other damage towers (more damage, less protection) or a storm tower (less damage, more protection with the shield). Once your middle island falls your RSS is free to take but the objective here is that you're less likely to be 5-flamed in a war and need to force attackers to use one more dragon.
    MareZ ~ lvl20X ~ Garnet Tier Dragons

Important Threads to find everything you need

Comment

• Mechengg
      Mechengg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the comments MareZ!

I'm not sure that my defenders have any supershots left when it comes to my farm base, only defense boosts and repairs to use. So i don't think that i should entirely count on them; rather i think it would be better is practice to have something with as high a HP as possible so that the island is more difficult to kill. Along those thoughts, that is why i used a level 27 totem instead of a level 15 tower, purely more HP to take it down. HOWEVER, if i move my level 27 fire turret there then this becomes a null point and i'll just move the totem to beside home base like you suggested.

Much thanks again!

• I wouldn't upgrade units past level 28.

I would get to level 28 than stop upgrading.
    The game changed the defense mechanic from level 29-40.
    You will get more XP, but less upgrades.

Your Defense Power will be inferior than before.
    My advice is to wait it out.
    • Join the Petition to bring back the old Defense mechanic.

If enough people join, they will change it.

Comment

• Owlrager
      Owlrager commented
      Editing a comment
      Dude theres tons of high lvl players for other high lvl players to attack. Tons. Thats not my opinion, thats a fact. And they have plenty of rss to steal.

What can a lvl 400 do that a lvl 186 cant do? They win wars.

• PlayerJ
      PlayerJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Mechengg

-The issue between level 29-40 has happened recently.
      I honestly haven't came up with a back up plan.
      This change caught me by surprise.

-I am trying to appeal.
      I hope it changes back.

-I don't even want to think about the next route if the appeal fails.
      It will simply be to sad to think about at this time.

• PlayerJ
      PlayerJ commented
      Editing a comment
      @Owlrager
      Dude there's tons of high lvl players for other high lvl players to attack. Tons. That's not my opinion, that's a fact

-You are still not understanding me or my previous metaphors.
      I will try again.

Level Spectrum:

Level 1 ---------- Level 225 ---------- Level 450.

-As a person gets closer to the extreme ends of a spectrum over all the amount will be smaller.
      Than if you stayed in the middle.

Their are hundreds of low level people.
      Their are hundreds of high level people.
      Their are thousands of middle level people.

-If you are trying to target an audience, You should target the audience which offers the most people.

It is a disadvantage to be high level.
      It is a disadvantage to be low level.
      You are better off in the middle.

Thanks everybody for your replies so far!

A lot of good thoughts and information on here and i've read it all (yes even yours PlayerJ) and have tried to take as much of it into consideration as possible. Changes wouldn't even happen until both a treb and storm of level 27ish were built and then swapped in from storage, but this at least gives me something to do meaninglessly in the background while i train my dragons.

Top suggestions:
    1) Include mage island out front
    2) Build a storm
    3) Build a trebuchet
    4) Don't include two fire turrets on the main island (or any tower for that matter except lightning)

So from there i have tried to produce what i think is a reasonable base with these towers. Totems will be next to home base now instead of on farm island.

Future arrangement (Option 1): http://amoebastudios.com/dragon/Base.html?id=moQt33lc

If anybody has any additional feedback or position tweaks that would be even more effective let me know. This time please give reasoning for wanting to place towers in certain locations because that is what i tried to do here.

Much thanks everyone!!

~Mech
    Last edited by Mechengg; 02-14-2017, 01:19 PM.

Comment

UPDATE

So for the Fortification Event i had next to no speedups since i've been speeding up hatching key dragons, so minimal changes were made right now. I'm working on my storm tower when i have a chance after my castle/incubator are finished, dragons are 100% key for me right now.

Fire turret 27 -> 29
      Fire turret 27 -> 29
      Ice turret 27 -> 29

Red mage 1
      Red mage 1
      Blue mage 1

Farm 23 -> 29
      Farm 23 -> 29
      Mill 23 -> 29
      Mill 23 -> 29

Storm 14 -> 17 *but still in storage. Once it hits 27 i will do my major re-arranging*

Final arrangement at end of event: http://amoebastudios.com/dragon/Base.html?id=o5ESiF61
      It definitely seems like that dead mans island is helping to remove 2 or 4 rage bars before the dragons can even get to my main island, super big help even @ level 1. Players tend to focus my ice turret for some reason lol.

Comment

I feel as if I can't divulge any more information on this issue Mechengg.
        I keep my defense information close to the vest.
        I am sorry.

Keep going at it my friend.
        You'll get there.

Comment

• Robert M.
          Robert M. commented
          Editing a comment
          😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

🙃🙂🙃🙂🙃🙂🙃

Close to the vest? 😂😂😂 Like your encyclopedia about simple totems? 😂😂😂😂 I'm sure you have a second edition coming about perches too! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 And it won't come from gameplay, you will just sit and think and do math all day and have the right answer about the best defense possible!!

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• PlayerJ
          PlayerJ commented
          Editing a comment
          Totem are a very versatile defensive tool.
          Totems have area's of simpleness mixed in with area's of huge complexity.

The damage reduction of Totems is simple.
          It can be calculated using math.
          It can be numerically measured.

The selection on which Totem to pick is far more complex.
          I did a thorough examination on Totems.
          I concluded Totems add an additional layer of defensive measures.

• Mechengg
          Mechengg commented
          Editing a comment
          It's cool, keep your secrets to yourself I guess. I just wanted to give everybody an update as to what's happening 😊

This base is at about a 50-60% successful defend rate currently with no defenders, and about 80% with (against attackers in the 84-100 range). It basically all comes down to if the attacker has a level 20+ tarand or 15+ Skarr in their roster

Mechengg it sounds like you've already gotten the proper advice from the proper people here, and hopefully you're ignoring the bad advice from a certain individual

anyway, as already mentioned, and is always mentioned, build up and not out. even though upgrading storage is a pain, continue to do so until it's maxed all the time. when you do unlock the next den, if you can wait until fort event to upgrade that can help slightly since it has such a short upgrade duration you wont use timers. I always suggest to try to have your castle, den, builder, incubator, and storage maxed for your level. it's not essential, but it's usually very helpful. nobody likes to get caught not being able to breed or incubate because they forgot to upgrade one of those buildings. builder hut and storage maxed will ensure that you can always build the highest level tower possible. short bases are better because less rage is generated and they're easier to defend (defenders can easily see where your power is located and use boosts/hammers appropriately) as most know.

level is meaningless. meaningless. meaningless. did I say it's meaningless? for defense. you actually *want* to level at a reasonable rate because it unlocks higher level buildings/towers and especially your den. it allows you to grow your dragons quicker, as long as you're not outgrowing your dragons.

no base is unbeatable.

in general, with the most recent release of lvl 45 towers, I'd estimate that your level doesn't really matter until you're lvl 200, and probably more around the 230-250 range, at least in competitive leagues, when it comes to wars and events. pretty much anything below 200 can be soloed by a good flier at the 150 level or thereabouts, and easily taken by a high level player backing a low level in wars and events.

my usual advice for base building is to simply due the best you can to optimize your base with whatever you've built thus far, and if you're smart you'll be fine, and you can plan your future builds accordingly. until lvl 200 or after, your base is really only a discouragement to others near your level or below who are hunting rss or doing token missions. if they see a difficult base for your level, unless you have a ton of rss out, they'll probably just simply move on to another target. there's usually a longer base that has an easier defense where the opponent can get more monument kills and clear their "kill xxx tower" missions more easily than they can on your base.

I always suggest a blue mage up front on your long island defense to discourage thunderstorms. and a red mage and another blue mage somewhere on that island as well. fire and ice are always nice for fort points but also because they're the two towers you cant forge resists for. I like at least one storm somewhere in your long island for defense purposes. maybe a treb as well. imo cannons and archers have lost a little bit of usefulness below lvl 200 due to nightshade and invert, but you also cant build a base to specifically stop just one dragon.

at higher levels you can design a base to counter the top 1-2 dragons being used, but more and more there are such a variety of decent dragons at top levels this is more and more difficult. the combination of totems and perch dragons can still achieve this, but it's usually simpler and more versatile to simply build the best base you can build to kill dragons.

try to balance the base design and layout with whatever is most important to you in mind. i.e. lvl 300 plus typically design their base to maximize it's potential when being defended, at the cost of it maybe being weaker undefended (i.e. vs rss farming). again, below lvl 200 I don't see the point in designing a base for wars unless you're one of the top level players on your team in a lower league where that matters.

anyway, again, I think base design at low and mid levels is primarily to discourage random daily attacks from poor to moderate fliers. but you still want to be smart about how you build.

also keep in mind that with a short base, as you grow, you might want to consider having a build zone where you build your towers while keeping your base short, and once you build a decent level tower, put it in storage until you have 3-5 of them to populate a new section so that you're not actually weakening your overall base difficulty (not base defense value). i.e. putting out one new tower on a new island increases your defense score but gives more opportunity for rage and an opportunity for an attacker to leave a tower to generate rage for a follower or second dragon making your base much easier to take down.

no matter what once you have the ability to level your towers past level 29 you should absolutely do so. xp gain is irrelevant compared to the gain in tower strength vs the alternative of adding more towers.

as for leveling, unless you're spending $1k a month on fort, you wont have to worry about running out of higher level targets for quite some time, so level away.

Comment

• Mechengg
          Mechengg commented
          Editing a comment
          @MareZ
          He hasn't even told us his player level and says that he is keeping his "secrets" to himself. I'd love to learn more from him if it's feasible because he has a different approach to the game but he really really sounds like he is trolling us from a low level account (deciding to go khrysos/cons was a huge huge decision for him so maybe in his late 70's?)

• MareZ
          MareZ commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah lol lvl60-80 that would also be my best guess since his forum account is just 4-5 months old...
          Although I doubt there's much to learn from him...

• PlayerJ
          PlayerJ commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not dumb "Clay".
          I know what rhymes with "Flay".

However, you can carry on with your contradiction of a post.
          I find it amusing.

First off Clay, much thanks for your time and effort you took to write out this response. I have put my thoughts below

Originally posted by xxCLAYxx View Post
        it sounds like you've already gotten the proper advice from the proper people here, and hopefully you're ignoring the bad advice from a certain individual

anyway, as already mentioned, and is always mentioned, build up and not out. even though upgrading storage is a pain, continue to do so until it's maxed all the time. when you do unlock the next den, if you can wait until fort event to upgrade that can help slightly since it has such a short upgrade duration you wont use timers. I always suggest to try to have your castle, den, builder, incubator, and storage maxed for your level. it's not essential, but it's usually very helpful. nobody likes to get caught not being able to breed or incubate because they forgot to upgrade one of those buildings. builder hut and storage maxed will ensure that you can always build the highest level tower possible. short bases are better because less rage is generated and they're easier to defend (defenders can easily see where your power is located and use boosts/hammers appropriately) as most know.
        Build up is what i've been doing thus far.
        My build order is ALWAYS: den, hut, farms/mills, storage, castle/incubator during non breeding events, then defensive towers. Everything main island is maxed always.
        Rage generation can only go so far to be honest, it used to be way more critical at lower levels when people would have 2 or 3 bars to begin a raid with, but with people my level now having full research and starting with max rage anyways it isn't something that i can say i'm too worried about. I'd possibly want a bit of additional time for defenders to give my base a quick study and implement supershots properly. But i do agree, shorter bases make supershots way way way more powerful. Plus you can supershot half the towers on the long island which typically brings down a dragon and gains you more shots.

level is meaningless. meaningless. meaningless. did I say it's meaningless? for defense. you actually *want* to level at a reasonable rate because it unlocks higher level buildings/towers and especially your den. it allows you to grow your dragons quicker, as long as you're not outgrowing your dragons.

no base is unbeatable.

in general, with the most recent release of lvl 45 towers, I'd estimate that your level doesn't really matter until you're lvl 200, and probably more around the 230-250 range, at least in competitive leagues, when it comes to wars and events. pretty much anything below 200 can be soloed by a good flier at the 150 level or thereabouts, and easily taken by a high level player backing a low level in wars and events.
        Yup no base is unbeatable especially at my level. I have level 200's walk all over me, not sure what they are doing, possibly just egg missions but they breeze through my base which is expected.
        I'm going to however not disagree per say, but rather argue the point about raiding at my level. I would rather have the same damn dragon attack power and base defensive ABILITY (not necessarily power) as somebody 10-20 levels above me. Not only does it highly discourage raids, but if we get into a retaliation biff I will always come out on top seeing as i can always raid more of their RSS than they can of mine.
        And again at my specific level, Skarr is way OP. He is the sole reason that i want to slow it right down now between levels 84-108, and therefore Den level really isn't the very highest of my priorities. All the gold legendaries can also be nearly expert at level 84 so it is really an ideal level to be at for max dragon power while maintaining low base level. I will be saving up TONS of speedups for hatching platinum dragons and leveling them, then when the fort events come i will make the jumps when the time is right to 102 then to 108 in the next two events to keep up with my breeding plans.

my usual advice for base building is to simply due the best you can to optimize your base with whatever you've built thus far, and if you're smart you'll be fine, and you can plan your future builds accordingly. until lvl 200 or after, your base is really only a discouragement to others near your level or below who are hunting rss or doing token missions. if they see a difficult base for your level, unless you have a ton of rss out, they'll probably just simply move on to another target. there's usually a longer base that has an easier defense where the opponent can get more monument kills and clear their "kill xxx tower" missions more easily than they can on your base.

I always suggest a blue mage up front on your long island defense to discourage thunderstorms. and a red mage and another blue mage somewhere on that island as well. fire and ice are always nice for fort points but also because they're the two towers you cant forge resists for. I like at least one storm somewhere in your long island for defense purposes. maybe a treb as well. imo cannons and archers have lost a little bit of usefulness below lvl 200 due to nightshade and invert, but you also cant build a base to specifically stop just one dragon.

at higher levels you can design a base to counter the top 1-2 dragons being used, but more and more there are such a variety of decent dragons at top levels this is more and more difficult. the combination of totems and perch dragons can still achieve this, but it's usually simpler and more versatile to simply build the best base you can build to kill dragons.

try to balance the base design and layout with whatever is most important to you in mind. i.e. lvl 300 plus typically design their base to maximize it's potential when being defended, at the cost of it maybe being weaker undefended (i.e. vs rss farming). again, below lvl 200 I don't see the point in designing a base for wars unless you're one of the top level players on your team in a lower league where that matters.

anyway, again, I think base design at low and mid levels is primarily to discourage random daily attacks from poor to moderate fliers. but you still want to be smart about how you build.
        Good to know about the blue for thunderstorm protection, i had a few guys so far run through my base (or try to) with 3 dragons all equipped with thunderstorm (added spell) in an effort to gain RSS. I'm not sure which dragons get that spell next but i will be checking for sure.
        I think that bases can definitely be tuned towards different styles of play and i'm not going to worry about the top 1-2 dragons, rather i'd try to protect against these fall and winter divines which nearly everyone is raiding with these days. My base does very well against the standard dragons which are barely leveled these days (just til breeding then forgotten about), it's just the people who attack with 3 divine dragons which is of a bigger concern to me.
        I'm not going to say that i'm the highest level player in my league or team, definitely not. But i'd like my base to give teams a run for their money so they need to bring in their level 120+ guys to help beat my base in a war. It gives us a small chance that one of their "relative big guys" isn't online to back certain players so there is a chance my base kills lots of dragons in the mean time. Again not critical, more of a nice to have

also keep in mind that with a short base, as you grow, you might want to consider having a build zone where you build your towers while keeping your base short, and once you build a decent level tower, put it in storage until you have 3-5 of them to populate a new section so that you're not actually weakening your overall base difficulty (not base defense value). i.e. putting out one new tower on a new island increases your defense score but gives more opportunity for rage and an opportunity for an attacker to leave a tower to generate rage for a follower or second dragon making your base much easier to take down.

no matter what once you have the ability to level your towers past level 29 you should absolutely do so. xp gain is irrelevant compared to the gain in tower strength vs the alternative of adding more towers.

as for leveling, unless you're spending $1k a month on fort, you wont have to worry about running out of higher level targets for quite some time, so level away.
        I only populate in groups of 5, that is a given but it's not something i will have to do for a very very long time. I don't expect all of my towers catching up to my base level anytime soon. Maybe in another 100 levels i can think about expanding outwards but not until i hit 184 at least.

And yes, I don't care at all that level 29+ towers have more XP now. I will continue to level my highest towers first and ones that make a difference (are runed probably) and keep nearly the same towers that i currently have. It is working for me so far that it would be dumb of me to just stop growing up and to start expanding. Doesn't make sense at all.

For the record i am an Elite Status player, so i spend $5 a month on this game and never plan to become any more than this.

Comment

Should be able to hit this setup @ level 94 this for event:

http://amoebastudios.com/dragon/Base.html?id=B9XXPcxB

Rune/Glyph setup
          5 Mage Tower runes on first small island
          3 legendary archer runes/glyphs and 2 epic treb glyphs for first half of long island
          5 lightning runes/glyphs for second half (legendary/epic/rare)
          5 Healing runes for farm/mill island

Comment

Good Job Mechengg.
            Your set up is finally getting better.

A few more adjustments and your set up will look like one of my ideal set-ups.
            Well I have a few ideal set-ups which I have wrote down on paper.
            I keep it on file in case I forget.

I keep my defense information close to the vest.
            However, I will share with you 2 things.

1- I agreed with Robert statement that you should move your Lighting towers which is what you did.

The reason why wasn't because of the range.
            The longer range situation may or may not be true.
            I haven't tested it out conclusively.

However, You should have moved your lighting towers because of another reason.
            The reason is because one of the best Hunters in the game is called Night Shade.
            Night Shade(NS) has lighting resist on him.

NS will have a frozen bar if your dead man island did its job.
            NS will be vulnerable with 0 rage left.
            It is the perfect time to lay waste to that dragon.
            Your response was to meet him with lighting towers on the first half of your middle island.

Lighting towers which NS has a resistance for.
            You were giving NS a breather!
            No Mercy!
            You fixed the issue good for you.

2- Against my best efforts the Developing team doesn't seem like they are going to change the XP system back.
            • They have closed the bug/feed back thread.
            • I went to player request to get them to change it. They closed down player requests.
            • I made a petition to help get people to rally to change it. They have closed down my petition.

There is nothing more I can do at this point.
            We will simply have to be content with this new unfair system.

You might as well level up past level 29.

Comment

• Mechengg
              Mechengg commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for keeping your post to 309 words.

Good point in regards to NS. However i feel like i'm attacked by Skarr more often these days and the nature of my runes make my lightning towers ideal choices for supershots. I defended and took down a fully boosted (4.4M) level 15 Skarr earlier today and the lightning took down about 60% of his health. Keep in mind this is prior to my switch so my lightning are still in front for the moment. They will be switched regardless in 2 weeks during fort event when my storm tower is leveled and brought out. I hope that my base is still as effective against skarr

My plan is to level past 29, no use stopping now! Towers just get better and better so i'll plan to keep upgrading mages, storms then my other towers untiil they are all max level
          Working...
          X