Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

League Restructure Proposal (+Extrinsic Motivation Proposals)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• League Restructure Proposal (+Extrinsic Motivation Proposals)

Overview
    The following League Restructure Proposal includes a restructuring of the Leagues by Global Rank in order to more optimally sort teams into appropriate leagues for their strength level. This would solve the problem of over-saturation in one League and create a well balanced environment for high level and brand new players alike.

Along with the League Restructure Proposal, four supplementary proposals have been added to use more extrinsic motivation in order to further (i) encourage high end activity, (ii) encourage competition and drive to be at the top, (iii) encourage spending and activity to stay competitive, (iv) minimize player complaints, and (v) make war a central focus of the game once again.

The Extrinsic Motivation Proposals is a set of four that include:
    • Daily Token Payout
    • War Multiplier (Token and Rating)
    • Event Prizes - Team
    • Event Prizes - Personal

League Restructure Proposal
    League
    Tier
    Number of Teams
    Number of Individual Leagues
    Global Ranks
    Diamond
    I
    1-25
    Garnet
    I
    26-50
    Sapphire
    I
    51-100
    II
    101-175
    III
    176-275
    Platinum
    I
    276-400
    II
    401-575
    III
    576-825
    IV
    826-1,150
    Gold
    I
    1,151-1,500
    II
    1,501-1,900
    III
    1,901-2,400
    IV
    2,401-3,000
    V
    3,001-3,700
    Silver
    I
    3,701-4,500
    II
    4,501-5,400
    III
    5,401-6,400
    Bronze
    I
    6,401-8,400
    II
    8,401-10,400
    III
    10,401+
    Rationale
    The current league structure simply does not work. When Diamond League was added in 2015 to allow the top 25 teams to be in one league together, Platinum League was small and included teams who were on a relatively equal playing field due to the newness of War Dragons. As time passed and the game grew, Platinum expanded and began including these high level teams just shy of Diamond all the way to teams similar to what filled Platinum the year prior. This brought about the need for Sapphire League, which temporarily solved the problem.

As long as the top league in the game is based on Global Ranking and the other leagues are based on Rating Points, there will always be an over-saturation in the league below Diamond. This over-saturation also leads to other problems, such as unbalanced leagues, promotion of “sandbagging” teams, and the dropping of activity in all lower leagues.

This League Restructure Proposal solves all of these problems by creating a League system based entirely on Global Rank. These new Leagues will increase the intrinsic motivation of Teams, bring life to all leagues, and create a competitive environment where one team is not massively overpowered compared to others.
    Last edited by TheRedDelilah; 2 weeks ago. Reason: Comment 1 edit.

Extrinsic Motivation Proposals
    Overview
    All aspects of the game should not use extrinsic motivation for day to day gameplay, competition, and sense of satisfaction. However, with the repetition of events, minimization of wars, and general day to day grind while bugs are being fixed and new ideas are being developed, the game has become tedious for its players. When tedious tasks are at hand, it is common practice to include extrinsic motivation. Thus, to encourage active and ideal gameplay, the following four proposals have been created.

Goals
    • Remove the tedious nature of events and wars
    • Encourage high activity
    • Create a sense of accomplishment
    • Promote healthy competition

Details
    This set of extrinsic motivation comes in the form of four parts: daily token payout, war multipliers (for egg tokens and rating), team prizes, and personal progression prizes. While each of these on their own would be a moderate impetus to aspire to a higher league, the combination of the four is ideal. However, for the sake of transparency and need, the daily token payout and war multipliers have been shown with a stand alone set of data assuming the other is not put into play as well (Proposal A) and a more conservative number that was created with the idea of both being put into play (Proposal B).

Daily Token Payout

Overview
    This proposed change to daily Token Payout based on the League Restructure Proposal would ensure that teams lose the incentive to sandbag and instead compete regularly for the increased benefits that come with going up a league. In the current model, many teams avoid war and sit in lower leagues to get easier rewards with far more benefits than drawbacks. In the proposed change, the scale flips and there are far more drawbacks to sandbagging than there are to competing to move up.

Currently, there is little to no incentive to climb to a higher league other than bragging rights. In fact, as discussed below, there are actually structural disincentives to joining a higher league due to the lack of scaling of individual major event rewards. When it comes to a mobile game that is not played professionally, this extrinsic motivation is crucial to profit as well as active game play.
    League
    Tier
    Number of Teams
    Daily Token A
    Daily Token B
    Diamond
    I
    Garnet
    I
    Sapphire
    I
    II
    III
    Platinum
    I
    II
    III
    IV
    Gold
    I
    II
    III
    IV
    V
    Silver
    I
    II
    III
    Bronze
    I
    II
    III
    Rationale
    This Proposal benefits players in three obvious ways. Firstly, players directly benefit from the daily egg Token Payout. Secondly, players are given more incentive to actively play the game and find or build more active teams. Lastly, this will likely condense the amount of active teams in the system to form stronger teams, meaning the lower leagues will then be less strong (due to sandbagging players leaving) which makes the game more playable for new players, thus keeping new blood.

This directly benefits Pocket Gems in the most obvious way: profit. With players actively competing for top token payouts, they will be using consumables and going after the best base and dragons faster and harder. As the game stands currently, “whales” are burning out left and right and the frequency of wars have decreased to a near halt. An active player base will not only generate profit, but keep the players happy. Happy players are more likely to spend when they have this obvious extrinsic motivation rather than when they are looking for a reason not to.

In addition, while the daily payouts is a sharp upward departure from current practice, it provides two benefits: (i) a strong incentive to move up to a higher league and (ii) a reduction in the number of players receiving these larger token payouts. Currently there are over 600 teams in Sapphire, and it's still growing. If we assume each team has 50 players as that's the ideal, that is 30,000 players receiving a total of 12 million tokens a day from their Daily Tokens just in Sapphire League with an additional 625,000 tokens daily in Diamond. In model A, from Diamond I through Sapphire III only 10.8 million Daily Tokens are given out. In model B, from Diamond I to Sapphire III only 9.275 millions Daily Tokens are given out. Thus, the number of overall tokens given out by Pocket Gems is reduced and the additional tokens that are given out are targeted to those players most likely to need them for breeding the upper tier dragons, increasing player satisfaction.
    Last edited by TheRedDelilah; 2 weeks ago. Reason: Comment 1 edit

Comment

• Bear
      Bear commented
      Editing a comment
      Goal is to get more not less. The minimum should be what the token payout is now in bronze and go up from there.

• Cameron90
      Cameron90 commented
      Editing a comment
      I tend to agree with Red here. The goal is to make leagues more competitive, and teams should want to move up to higher leagues. Egg tokens is a good motivator.

• TheRedDelilah
      TheRedDelilah commented
      Editing a comment
      Bear - I get that the goal is to have more, not less. On the second page, I added the token table with a C column. Honestly though, I think a drastic change in tokens (less at the bottom, more at the top) will be a kick in the ass. Right now so many teams rarely war and the game is just stagnant. I believe players should do something to earn their tokens - be it war or an increase in mission payout. Bulldog made an excellent post on how they could change daily token payout, that I also linked to on the second page.

War Multiplier

Overview
    There are many reasons why one team would declare war on another. Of particular interest are two reasons with factors completely in the control of Pocket Gems: egg token payout and rating. Currently, there are very few logical reasons to war as the egg token payout is so minimal and the rating gain is either exceptionally minimal or would push a team into a League they have no desire to be in, due to the benefits of that higher League being heavily outweighed by the drawbacks. This Proposal focuses on a War Multiplier, which would turn the tedious and often avoided task of war into a beneficial and sought after activity.
    League Tier Number of Teams Multiplier A Multiplier B
    Diamond I 25 10 5.5
    Garnet I 25 8 4.8
    Sapphire I 50 6 4
    II 75 5.5 3.5
    III 100 5 3
    Platinum I 125 2.6 2.6
    II 175 2.4 2.4
    III 250 2.2 2.2
    IV 325 2 2
    Gold I 350 1.8 1.8
    II 400 1.7 1.7
    III 500 1.6 1.6
    IV 600 1.5 1.5
    V 700 1.4 1.4
    Silver I 800 1.3 1.3
    II 900 1.25 1.25
    III 1,000 1.2 1.2
    Bronze I 2,000 1 1
    II 2,000 1 1
    III 1 1
    Details
    A war multiplier addresses the two reasons to war noted above. This multiplier would apply to both egg tokens and rating points for the winning team of a war. Take the following situation as an example of the current war system:
    • Team A declares on Team B, and B wins. Team A loses 150 tokens and 4 rating points. Team B receives 150 tokens and 4 rating points.
    • Team B declares on Team A, and B wins. Team A loses 33 tokens and 4 rating points. Team B receives 33 tokens and 4 rating points.

If a Diamond multiplier of 10 was applied:
    • Team A declares on Team B, and B wins. Team A loses 150 tokens and 4 rating points. Team B receives 1,500 tokens and 40 rating points.
    • Team B declares on Team A, and B wins. Team A loses 33 tokens and 4 rating points. Team B receives 330 tokens and 40 rating points.

If a Diamond multiplier of 5.5 was applied:
    • Team A declares on Team B, and B wins. Team A loses 150 tokens and 4 rating points. Team B receives 825 tokens and 22 rating points.
    • Team B declares on Team A, and B wins. Team A loses 33 tokens and 4 rating points. Team B receives 181 tokens and 22 rating points.

For players, this gives a much higher incentive to war often, as the rewards now more closely match the amount of items used to win a war. Though the sense of satisfaction of winning is a fantastic intrinsic motivator, it is not enough to overcome the demands of high activity war, especially now since active defense over a 24 hour period change the outcome of wars.

This small change provides a strong extrinsic motivator to not only win wars, but war often to push towards the higher leagues, which are currently avoided. If Multiplier B was combined with Daily Token B, these would hand in hand improve the desire to war, the push to be in a higher league, and the need to have better dragons and bases to stay in the higher leagues all while greatly improving the competitive nature and enjoyment of the game.

For Pocket Gems, the profit is one that can only be speculated upon, since the game hasn't had a push towards wars in a very, very long time. If the request to remove from gold chests consumables such as dragon boosts, tower boosts, and defense items was granted, this would mean players would run out of these highly sought after war items and would be forced to purchase them for a higher cost in the forge to keep up with their use. Then if wars gained drive and were done significantly more often with the above two listed extrinsic motivators pushing players along, this would mean the need for such items would drastically increase as would the need for high end dragons and bases much sooner to retain a team’s league placement.
    Last edited by TheRedDelilah; 2 weeks ago. Reason: Comment 2 edit

Comment

• TheRedDelilah
      TheRedDelilah commented
      Editing a comment
      Added the situation if Team B declares on Team A, and B wins.

• TheRedDelilah
      TheRedDelilah commented
      Editing a comment
      Changed the Sapphire I-III teams from being 75-75-75 to 50-75-100 based on the suggestion in post #13 by War fan

• Marvin Lamb
      Marvin Lamb commented
      Editing a comment
      You can not have differing levels of rating change. This would cause massive rating inflation and break the rating system. But the token multiplier is desperately needed and should be incentive enough.

League Team Prize Personalization

Overview
    With smaller Leagues that are very much in a controlled state due to Global Rank limitations and requirements, this means that event prizes can be more customized to better serve the players in that league. Currently, the Team Prize is just a bonus while players simply focus on their personal progression where the better rewards are. Making adjustments to ensure each league has a prize system best suited for them is a much more manageable task under this new system.

Details
    The proposition is very basic and only has two main parts. Firstly, after leagues are made, poll the populations and see where they would like to see team prizes weighted (dragons boosts, egg tokens, rubies, etc).

The second part revolves around the glyph. Make the glyph relevant to what the league needs and make it something worth fighting over. Instead of having players stop when they max their personal rewards, give them a reason to keep going, keep spending, to ensure their team gets that sought after glyph. The glyph needs of Gold are going to be far different than that of Diamond, and the spending that people are willing to do in Diamond also far outweighs the spending people are willing to do in Gold. Again polling the player base (in game) to see what glyphs are most desirable will allow Pocket Gems to see where the desire is.
    Last edited by TheRedDelilah; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

• Echo
      Echo commented
      Editing a comment
      One issue in balancing Team prizing is that we have typically held the opinion that a rank 25 team in a higher league (ie: Diamond #25 vs Sapphire #1) should get more team rewards than rank #1 in the lower league, otherwise it seems to feel off when you move up a league only to get less team prizing.

If there was only one or two sets of prizing for teams per league then it would be easy to accomplish this strategy, but since we would like to have scaled prizes based on your rank within your division... all of these suggested additional sub-leagues creates incredibly wide bands of prizing.

With all the additional proposed sub leagues in each league (Platinum 1,2,3 etc) would you propose that #1 in Platinum 2 league should get less team prizing than #1 in platinum #1 or would team prizing overlap across these leagues. Same question goes for Garnet #1 versus Diamond #25.

• TheRedDelilah
      TheRedDelilah commented
      Editing a comment
      Echo - I love that balance when it comes to Team Prizing across Leagues.

To be honest, team prizes are kind of a running joke. Well, at least in Sapphire+ where I have been sitting for most of my gameplay. I would suggest having the Glyph prizes the same across the tiers (So Sapphire I Rank 1 would have the same Glyph as Sapphire III Rank 1) but change the consumables to keep the ideal balance.

If we look at the current high end of the scale in Diamond for the last of the event, they got:
      4 Mystic Fragments
      1.5k Sigils
      1.5k Egg Tokens
      20 12hr
      24 3hr
      40 1hr
      20 Potions
      50 Dragon Attack
      50 Dragon HP
      65 Hammers
      65 Gunpowder
      65 Armor
      65 Tower Attack Boost
      65 Tower Defense Boost

Each of these consumables is kind of a joke and a mere scratch of the surface to Deadnought players. The 4 Mystic Fragments are essentially worthless for Garnet dragons, the egg tokens are also a joke, the timers barely dent their builds, they go through more than 20 potions a day, etc etc. I think the Glyphs are the easy part, but changing and balancing the consumables to makes them more of a well, prize, is how you would scale the prizes across this proposed League Rebalancing.

Thoughts?

• A1R
      A1R commented
      Editing a comment
      Echo Do you think the current team reward structure where the price difference in payouts between the #1 and #5 or event #10 in event is 300-400 sigil or tokens - which is LITERALLY 2 (TWO) gold chests - is a better idea?

Yes, there are people who's sanity (or addiction level) is questionable as they spend $400-500 in event, just do get rewards worth 800 rubies or equivalent 2-3 golds chests; but I assure you 95% of players are actually reasonably smart people who can see through your bullshit. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what you are doing here.

And then you ask why is it that you are in a position where "We need to keep the lights on". You can't cheat at the table where everyone knows your tricks. What PG is doing is insulting... it really is.

You guys need to stop "looking into" stuff and start making changes. .... the action part of the equation is completely missing.
      Last edited by A1R; 1 week ago.

Personal Prizes based on League

Overview
    No matter what team a player is on, they have always been able to earn the same personal rewards each event as someone on a different team or even a different League. This does not encourage players to seek out the best team, but rather teaches them that they can be on their own or even in a low league where opponents are easier to do just as well as another player in a higher league. In a game where competition and drive to the top is supposed to be the leading intrinsic motivator to be active and play, this personal prize system simply encourages the opposite. This Proposal keeps an element of equality across the leagues but also provides an incentive to improve one's own account (dragons, base, level) so that they might find a place on a better and higher ranked team so that they may earn better personal rewards. Encouraging activity and competition will drive players to play, and spend, more.
    League Tier Number of Teams Number of Prizes Top Glyph Top Sigils Top Rubies Max Total Gold Chests
    Diamond I 25 35 Mythic 650 3k 20
    Garnet I 25 32 Mythic 625 2k 17
    Sapphire I 50 28 Legendary 500 1.8k 14
    II 75 28 Legendary 500 1.8k 14
    III 100 28 Legendary 500 1.8k 14
    Platinum I 125 25 Legendary 400 1.4k 10
    II 175 25 Legendary 400 1.4k 10
    III 250 25 Legendary 400 1.4k 10
    IV 325 25 Legendary 400 1.4k 10
    Gold I 350 20 Epic 250 900 7
    II 400 20 Epic 250 900 7
    III 500 20 Epic 250 900 7
    IV 600 20 Epic 250 900 7
    V 700 20 Epic 250 900 7
    Silver I 800 15 Rare 150 600 5
    II 900 15 Rare 150 600 5
    III 1,000 15 Rare 150 600 5
    Bronze I 2,000 12 Common 100 425 3
    II 2,000 11 Common 100 400 2
    III 10 Common 100 375 1
    Details
    The proposal for creating personal progression prizes based on a person’s league has benefits for both the players and Pocket Gems. As the progression prizes currently stand, they have to be a good fit for low level new players and high ranking Diamond Players. Making the personal progression prizes partially personalized for leagues would allow Pocket Gems to meet the needs of lower levels and leagues while also pushing the larger players with shiny rewards.

All leagues would have the same first ten reward tiers, the next five only Silver and above would have access to, and so on. Having 7 reward tiers specifically designed for the top 50 teams in the game to reach would allow Pocket Gems to push the envelope regarding required points each event to encourage spenders, with 3 of those final 7 tiers designed only for the top 25 teams in the game.

This system would also encourage newer players to slowly spend and push themselves in a way that makes them feel good, with this intrinsic motivation. For the lower levels in lower leagues, maxing out an event would be obtainable and give them a sense of satisfaction. When they move up a league and there are just a few more reward tiers, they will grow excited and want to push themselves just a little bit further to max the event again as it's still in their reach. The more they go up, the more they push themselves until they get hook on maxing an event.

Lastly, similar to the proposal around team prizes, this would allow Pocket Gems to perfectly cater to the needs of each league, by offering them Glyphs (and other special event items) that are in high demand for that league, thus pushing the players to work harder for that prize.
    Last edited by TheRedDelilah; 2 weeks ago. Reason: Comment 1 edit

Comment

• TheRedDelilah
      TheRedDelilah commented
      Editing a comment
      Changed the Sapphire I-III teams from being 75-75-75 to 50-75-100 based on the suggestion in post #13 by War fan

Conclusion and Acknowledgements
    The goal of these proposals is one that many players and employees I am sure feel passionate about. We hope that all discussions remain on topic, concise, and positive as we all want what is best for this addicting game.

Proposal created by Robert M. and myself, with input from Spooky, Oldmandragon, Seers, TheBulldog , and others. Thank you for all your help!,
    Last edited by TheRedDelilah; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Looks like an incredible proposal that you put a lot of time and thought into. All that effort will likely be wasted, sad.

Comment

Someone sticky this please. CampusLifer PGJared EggToken Echo

PG reps, please help us get this the attention it deserves from anyone who may be higher than you on the ladder. This game is slowly dying, and WILL die in the near future without some type of intense attention to the reasons for stagnation.

These are the observations of very veteran players who don't want it to fail. Red puts a ton of time into her team and her love of this game, and she put a ton of time and thought into this. Please, listen to us so this game doesn't die.

Comment

Red put a lot of effort and thought into this. It's a fair proposal. Best for players. Best for the pockets of Pg. they should really really take note on this one and give it its fair shake.

Comment

This proposal does something that often PG overlooks...it makes SENSE for the player base, for the veterans and the newbies alike, and it helps them too. It is logical and something that both PG and players benefit from!

Comment

Firstly, thank you so much Red for the time and effort you put into this proposal. I personally think you hit the nail on the head. The current model it starting to fail, to put it mildly. Activity across the leagues is getting worse. Motivating teammates to participate is getting more difficult. We have all had people leave the game recently, and honestly I feel unless something is done this is going to landslide.

PGJared CampusLifer EggToken I beg of you to take heed here. Red is an elder player, and an amazing leader of an elder team. She has the support of many of the rest of us in the same position. I'm eagerly awaiting a response.

Comment

• Panda
                Panda commented
                Editing a comment
                I think she just called her old...rude.

"We have read your proposal, but unfortunatly its not on our roadmap. "

Comment

I think all the daily token amount below diamond need to be adjusted upwards, especially in bronze. Someone in bronze only receiving 20 tokens per day (that's 1 breed hit) would take a month to get 1 dragon. Pretty discouraging. Yeah, sapphire gets more, but gold gets about the same as it does now, and it drops down from there.

Another suggestion would be to pyramid the sapphire tiers like the other leagues. Instead of 75 x 3, make it 50, 75 and 100. That would make sapphire a little more competitive, and might make teams try to get to sapphire I instead of vegging out in sapphire III.

On-the-whole I like this, but I also think that egg mission payouts need to scale to the player level.

Comment

• MareZ
                  MareZ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  lmao Spooky well said.
                  PlayerJ I doubt it hurts this game if you or other players from bronze or silver quit. Nobody who plays competitively is in those leagues.
                  Any new low level player that is active, willing to grow fast and provides team work for wars and events is welcome in higher leagues and thus will earn what they deserve.

• PlayerJ
                  PlayerJ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  @Marez
                  Your statement is wrong Marez.
                  You can't expect to compete with players who have been playing for years when you are simply starting out.
                  They already have a lead in time over you.

Than to greater increase the gap you are reducing egg tokens on their initial start up.
                  Your logic + This plan logic are all 100% flawed.

• MareZ
                  MareZ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Gotta love how you have something like a 95% chance of not tagging me correctly.
                  Anyway... just read again what I said. Any noob can join a platinum team at level5. After a few weeks when they are 30+ they can join a sapphire team if they play actively and contribute to wars and events (I did that when I started an alt).
                  Bronze, Silver... heck even Gold is dead. I could be the only person in a whole team and be in Gold, that's how dead they are.

Great stuff here Red and gang! The backbone of the proposal makes sense on many fronts. What I like about it most is that it will effectively change the mindset of players/teams which in the end would be a MAJOR change to War Dragons. The beauty of it is that very little is required of PG in the case of implementation (overall restructure, daily token payout and the War multiplier). Nor does it require any significant changes in terms of many of the economies that exist today. I'm willing to wager the prize aspects of the proposal gives PG ulcers. Nevertheless, I'd be more than happy with only getting the appropriate payouts for the league I'm in and for the efforts put forth in wars.

For Red and team, I'm willing to wager that the payouts for the various leagues/tiers gave you a ton of headaches. I can see it in the distribution you have. At the risk of sounding critical, I think it might be a bit too smooth across the various leagues and within each league's tier. Also the differences between Diamond and Garnet are relatively minor. In the end, that's probably okay because (like you pointed out) it hopefully gets the right players and teams where they belong so that the lower leagues are better balanced.

From a player that has been around for 2+ years I have to say this is probably the most progressive suggestion that I've ever seen from a player or PG rep to date.

Take a bow Red and gang, take a bow!

Comment

This was a fantastic read. Most sounded very good. Only thing that might not work was multi for rating in wars but I wouldn't know fully. The token thing seems a good idea and really really like the idea of league restructure fully agree with it. There does need to be a change. You shouldn't tank wars to stay in a league.

Comment

• TheRedDelilah
                    TheRedDelilah commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was unsure of whether to apply to multi to tokens and rating or just tokens, but after speaking to some high ranked Diamond teams I decided to include it just in case. That +4 ranking after a war was from an example of NoMercyOrder (Global Rank #2) versus DREADNOUGHT (Global Rank #1). For them, I think the multiplier for ranking would mean more to them than it would to a lower league. I don't claim to know fully either, it was just an idea I included knowing what they go through. I also thought it would make wars and rank more dynamic and exciting.

What do you think?
                Working...
                X