Announcement

Collapse

War Dragons Forum Migration Soon!

Greetings Dragon Lords! Over the last few months we've done lots of work behind the scenes redesigning the forum and will be migrating over to our new forum software in the coming weeks. During this migration, the forums will be set to "read-only" and posting will be disabled. We expect the actual migration to take between 24-48 hours. Please watch for additional Announcements soon with more details!
See more
See less

Android -> iOS, please PG!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CampusLifer I've always wondered this, might not be the right place to bring it up but even if it wasn't built in the game in the first place, what is it that makes using across multiple devices dangerous? Is the days becoming corrupted when using on more than one device?
    Frydays

Comment

• MareZ
      MareZ commented
      Editing a comment
      In case you mean iOS and Android devices, I think CampusLifer explained it in detail already. The accounts apparently don't work on another operating system and most likely will get corrupted to the point that you can't use the account ever again (see Red's post #20.1).

For using one account on different iOS devices, I was told by other players that it should work if you log out and possibly kill or uninstall the app every time, and log in on the other iOS device (just like you do when buying a new device and switching from the old to the new one).
      When I logged my alt out of the old phone and logged in on the new tablet it worked perfectly so I guess it should also work more than one time if you always log out/reinstall to remove outdated files on the device.

Problems mostly occur when players use more than one account on the same device as the accounts get mixed up, levels don't show correctly, mails appear from the wrong account, worst case is that accounts get rolled back or glitched to a point where you can't use them anymore.
      That's what I know from what I have read and heard from others.

Another month goes by, with the question coming up repeatedly in LC and TC, and... nothing. People don't ask here. They ask in LC, and get told there no not possible. That's why you don't hear it's always requested CampusLifer
    I, like another poster on this thread purchased a new Android device, higher specced, and it's just as bad as my old Galaxy Tab S2 for WD.
    Eyeing up a iPad Pro now, but at that point I might just give up WD which would be a shame.

There is also a lot of FUD about compatibility of data between the two... I'm a server-side dev in the mobile arena and it doesn't matter to the server if the client is a Droid or iOS. They both use the same endpoints to communicate... so TBH the likely culprit is the "signin" system that they use for Android vs the Game Centre iOS signin. That could be fixed.

Hell, I'd even be prepared to PAY to get my account moved from Android to iOS.

Comment

• Jeff8682
      Jeff8682 commented
      Editing a comment
      See PGDave response to me in this thread. This is the closest answer I have received to this ever seeing the light of day. Also, i have offered to pay for this before too. http://wardragons.pocketgems.com/for...rimarch-glitch

Realized it was in beta forum....in case you don't have access
      "Funny you mention that; a few engineers recently shared their work on that and their results were promising. There are certainly some edge cases to work out, but I'm very optimistic about it now (that doesn't mean its going to happen soon, but I think we have a clear path to it now and are actively working on it ... before I wasn't so sure we would be able to do it)."

SpotTheDog:

Regarding FUD: The problem isn't server based. It's based on what format the data is stored on the client. War Dragons iOS client uses an incompatible file format than War Dragons android client. Yes, they share the same endpoints. But they send blobs of incompatible binary data to those endpoints.

Here's an allegory. You're sitting at your OS X mac machine and use the builtin apple "Keynote" program to make a little presentation about your family vacation -- called "family_vacation.key". Then you use OSX Dropbox program to upload the family_vacation.key file up to the cloud. Then you walk over to your Microsoft Windows PC. You use your windows version of Dropbox to download your family_vacation.key file from the cloud. You try to open the Apple Keynote presentation file with using Microsoft Powerpoint and guess what: It doesn't work. Powerpoint doesn't know how to open this file -- it opens PPT powerpoint files. While you have the same binary file, coming from the same cloud server endpoints, that doesn't mean that both platforms can read binary blobs written for programs on the other platform. Yes, Microsoft could decide to write something in Powerpoint such that it can read the Keynote fileformat, but it will take a bunch of work to make it happen, and then they need to keep updating their code every time Apple Keynote makes updates to their fileformat.

Jeff8682:

Yes, during a hackathon a couple of our engineers did an experiment to see how hard it would be to code the functionality to port gamestates between Android<=>iOS. There's some chance they won't finish the project. There's tons of projects we begin and then later decide to abort. I personally like to underpromise and overdeliver, so I haven't been announcing this effort. I don't like to mention things on this forum unless I'm 99% sure it will see the light of day.
    Last edited by CampusLifer; 07-24-2017, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Let me save a bit of time if you do ever address this. Ignore iOS <==>Android and simply focus on Android==>iOS. Have anyone looking to go in the other direction simply play level 1 account on Android and they will rescind that request shortly after.

Ignoring a solution to move the character data between platforms, how hard is it really to have someone take a blank character template and simply rebuild the majority of the info. I wouldn't even mind losing certain items at this point given how bad the performance has become on android. I would assume it would be similar to what they do when rebuilding a character screwed up by data corruption. Even if there was a cost associated with this, I am sure quite a few players would still be interested.

Comment

Hi. I honestly think that sounds like a reasonable solution as well Jeff8682 . I don't get to decide policy for that kind of thing --- I work on R&D and engineering.

PGJared: What do you think of the proposed policy to manually assist players to convert their accounts from Android to iOS?

Comment

I currently play this game on my super old Samsung Galaxy S5 which frankly should be in a museum.

I have new iOS devices and it would be nice to transfer my account over.

My S5 now doesn't charge properly and the battery dies in hours. If my phone dies then ill likely need to find a new game to play. I cant justify spending 7-10k USD again just to get back to where I am now on iOS.

I also refuse to by another android device after all the issues I have had with faulty parts and warranty claims

Comment

• ITIL
            ITIL commented
            Editing a comment
            What about getting an extra battery for around $20? The S5 has swappable ones, I thought.

• gaza8143
            gaza8143 commented
            Editing a comment
            Could do, although my micro usb charging port is also playing up ( ever since I dropped it in the bath lol ) I was quoted $299 AUD to fix it but for a phone this old it doesn't feel worth it. Also if it does die then I have a good reason to retire and save some cash

Originally posted by CampusLifer View Post
          Hi. I honestly think that sounds like a reasonable solution as well Jeff8682 . I don't get to decide policy for that kind of thing --- I work on R&D and engineering.

PGJared: What do you think of the proposed policy to manually assist players to convert their accounts from Android to iOS?
          That's not something we have adequate tooling for, unfortunately. If we had the tools it's certainly something the support team could address, though we'd have to keep an eye on it to make sure we didn't get overwhelmed or it wasn't used inappropriately.

Comment

• PGJared
            PGJared commented
            Editing a comment
            Jeff, that's kind of exactly what I said in my post?

• Jeff8682
            Jeff8682 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, we are on the same page lol. Get that requisition in for whatever we need. Just tell them I approved the expenditure.

• Frequincy
            Frequincy commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok without the proper setup (tools) its surely not worth breaking the game over IMO but it is something I think needs to be addressed as to why it cant be done thru game that way we don't see the request a million and 1 More times

I've had to deal with this madness, I have an account on android for over a year, lvl 50, got an iPhone a few months ago and was so upset when I found out the game isn't cross platform. I ended up making a new account and grinding through, but I'm constantly saddened by losing all that progress. I still get to occasionally play my old account when I hijack my sons phone, and I am probably going to buy an android device just to keep it, but that's money I can't spend just yet. I really love the game and honestly part of my decision to go iOS was because I heard the game was originally designed for that system, I just assumed I'd be able to use my old account. I do appreciate the technical response to this post, I'm not happy about the situation but having more understanding of the issue always helps.

Comment

So, I see we have Dragon Riders, and this new Atlas expansion.
            And the "please make sure you have (X)* account if you are on Android" so that you can restore your progress after Android update.

And, still no mechanism to change.

We lost another two members of our team over the last couple of weeks, level 200+ players, that walked away from the game when they switched from their Android phones to new iOS devices and found they could not switch.

I asked them afterwards on our Slack channel if they contacted support, they both said no because there was no point.

The issue is way more widespread than you think PG.

I've only stuck with it because I have turned off all the "special" things on my tablet's game display effects, accept that it's going to crash every 5 minutes, that every 2nd update will be a crash-fest for Android, and that sometimes I'll get a framerate of about 1 frame a second while attacking.

Meanwhile my wife on her iPad never crashes, can play at a good frame rate with most effects turned on...

And we spend money on the game... PG, we are not freetards that you won't care about losing. And yet you don't seem to care.

* I can't remember the name of the account type we were told to make sure we had.

Comment

• ITIL
              ITIL commented
              Editing a comment
              PocketIDs are available on both iOS and Android, but PG just wanted to make sure that people would have a backup in case an Android Oreo upgrade broke things. CampusLifer has posted before on file system differences and other stuff in pretty extensive detail above. My guess is that the cost of trying to have the game be transferable cross platform is more costly than the loss of players would be.

Would love to bring my account over to iOS... I'm on a android and it sucks especially after a update on the game happens. I think y'all should do a Survey and see how many people say yes to the switch

Comment

Here we go with this shit again can someone pls close this thread For GOOD

Comment

• Frequincy
                Frequincy commented
                Editing a comment
                Im not against the conversion of any player hell I don't even think they should charge someone to do it if it can be done in a safe way that won't sync error the next guys account, if it fucks up the acct holders acct then hey that was the risk of the conversion but when it has the potential to fuck up my acct or hell even your acct I'm not for that at all as I wanna See some of you guys in Battle some day So MareZ buddy I'm saying close this Thread I might be Saving your Acct 😂 all jokes aside tho I do understand where y'all coming from

• SpotTheDog
                SpotTheDog commented
                Editing a comment
                Then ignore it.
                It's obviously not important to you because it doesn't affect you.
                To those of us that it does affect, it is important.

• Frequincy
                Frequincy commented
                Editing a comment
                I can careless how important it is too you if it breaks my game so No I won't just ignore it

It's less about "how many people want" and more about "how possible is this and how many man hours it would take to merge two completely different codes".
              Love Red,

Leader of Rulith
              Lover of Spreadsheets

Helpful Threads:
              How to Build YOUR Ultimate Breeding Path
              Red's Breeding Paths: Sapphire to Emerald

Rulith's Website:
              All Breeding Paths
              Red's Guide to Flying Hunters
              Dragon's, etc.

Social:
              Twitter - @TheRedDelilah
              Twitch

Comment

• SpotTheDog
                SpotTheDog commented
                Editing a comment
                The reasons given that "it's too hard" are bogus.
                a) they state the endpoints are the same. Therefore the data exchanged is the same.
                b) we do data transformations all the time. Even if they were different data sets (which, they are not), it would be trivial to write a data transformation.
                c) it's not about merging 2 different codebases, it's about the data it takes to populate the game instance.

Think about it: when you uninstall the game it wipes the whole dataset on your device. When you reinstall, it loads it completely fresh from PG's servers, via the API endpoints. The format is likely standard JSON.

This is not actually a hard task... nor is a long one.

• Jeff8682
                Jeff8682 commented
                Editing a comment
                I have tried making that same argument a hundred times to no avail. Especially if going from android to iOS because then their apple's proprietary code reason doesn't come into play as the incoming data wouldn't contain any of the supposed problematic code.
            Working...
            X