Congrats PG! Your business model is working well

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats PG! Your business model is working well

You have to admit that it is a good model. Release "Event Dragons" 5 every 3 months that people will have to spend money to get. But how do you convince people to buy them so often??

1. Make them look attractive, with reasonable power and spells or even appearing "overpowered". Release runes with them that make them even more powerful. People will see others use them to take down their base and want them.

2. To encourage people to purchase the next set, you must make them less interested in the ones they just got a month ago. Now you could just add more and more levels of dragons, but you can't add another tier of dragons every 3 months. So you have to change the product after it is sold to make it seem worth less. This is easily done by altering the spell that makes them more effective. (By deciding the rune doesn't work anymore, adding a "cool down" period to the spell, changing the effect, etc.)
    Note that while this business practice is completely unacceptable in RL, it seems to be accepted in this digital world. If anyone complains, just say your are "balancing the game." That works every time.

3. Repeat every season.

We have seen this happen over and over. Sage, Tarand, and Snowdrop are three recent nerfed dragons. I'm sure the community can name a bunch more and supply guesses who gets nerfed next.

Good work, PG.

Nightshade got nerfed big time...
    Phasmos got nerfed big time...

Comment

Omarr was the last dragon that was not nerfed

Comment

Originally posted by oh_yeah View Post
        You have to admit that it is a good model. Release "Event Dragons" 5 every 3 months that people will have to spend money to get.(...)
        I partly have to disagree here.
        The three divines of the main branches are achievable for free. When you play actively you should be able to finish atleast 1-2 branches.
        The fourth branch is also achievable for free, discounted for two weeks and not needed for the final divine.
        You only have to spend if you want to finish all main branches and claim the final divine. This is a business model which gives spending customers something to achieve and gives non spenders the ability to play this game for free.

(...) So you have to change the product after it is sold to make it seem worth less.
        I agree it happens way too often that dragons you achieved get nerfed!

We have seen this happen over and over. Sage, Tarand, and Snowdrop are three recent nerfed dragons.
        Atleast for Snowdrop's Crystalline Shield I've found this:
        Originally posted by EggToken
        This was an unintended change due to fixing an issue with other global cooldowns. We'll be removing the cooldown in an update (hopefully) next week.
        source
        MareZ ~ lvl19X ~ Garnet Tier Dragons

Important Threads to find everything you need

Comment

You have to admit that it is a good model. Release "Event Dragons" 5 every 3 months that people will have to spend money to get.
          And this 5 in three months comes after we told them they were releasing divines to often at one every month. LOL

Comment

• Dakhunter
            Dakhunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't you remember someone from PG once said, we don't have to get new dragon every month now. But instead, we are getting 4 everything 3 months.
            One word for it: GENIUS

Unfortunately no matter how much we complain about the release rate of new dragons no matter if it's seasonal or tiers we are constantly proven wrong. We are proven wrong by the simple fact that there will always be some with more money than common sense who will happily open their wallets and extract their credit cards to obtain these new dragons. Their worst fear in the world must be that they will not be the best at a game because they don't always have the best new toys.

No, no matter how many times the cry has gone out here and in other places to boycott spending on this game until we are listened to it will never work. There are just to many players who will not stop spending because the only way they can prove they are good at something is to be able to buy it.
          What, me worry?

Comment

• oh_yeah
            oh_yeah commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly. This is why the model works. And I don't necessarily assume they have more money than sense (though that is probably a sub-set of the spenders). I think most derive a lot of pleasure from this game that they feel is enhanced by having the latest toys and they have the disposable income to do it. I just prefer more tangible items from my disposable income, rather than pixels. To each his own.

• CaptainC
            CaptainC commented
            Editing a comment
            The reason I say that is simply the fact that PG has proven that there is no limits to their greed. If people continue to pay increasingly inflated prices for merchandise of the same value then they have more money than sense.

First I seen messed with was Fennrok. He was my beast then they messed with Explosion Shield

Comment

• ITIL
            ITIL commented
            Editing a comment
            What changed about it? This is before my time XD

Games that require to to pay...suck! I have played the Simpsons game for years now. At first it was mainly geared toward paying players. I understand, they have to make money to develop the game. But, after a bit, they created a way for non paying players to generate donuts with exclusive buildings. Donuts in the Simpsons game is like gems in War Dragons. This fixed the problem and made the game enjoyable again. Hard work could make you equal with high spenders. War Dragons is very different...they cater only to the spenders. Spending money should be a shortcut not a special VIP club that no one else can enter unless they have a credit card...sucks! Please adjust this PG!

Comment

• Gary2975
            Gary2975 commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree totally, but unfortunately it's the way of mobile gaming now.

Content doesn't matter. Design and story don't matter. To a large extent, even deliberate bugs put into the product don't matter because software developers are never held to account for them. Only the progression hunt matters and the addiction to that is what entices players to open their wallets and spend constantly.

Make no mistake, online gambling (lottos, poker, horse racing, etc) may be frowned upon, but mobile gaming IS the new gambling. It attracts gamblers and people willing to waste most or all of their income on a chance at getting something.

However, where with poker or the races or even pokies, you have a small chance at getting at least some of your investment back. With mobile gaming, there is ZERO chance. All you get is shiny pixels.

The way mobile games are designed and in app purchases operated should by all sense and rights be completely illegal. In some ways these are worse than poker machines. There is nothing to hold the software developers to account, at all, not to mention they have made gaming a total joke. It's not about skill, nor about enjoyment of the game. It's pay the software company lots of money for doing very little, or you get nowhere in the game.

Subscription models or one off big payments for games are so much better than the free games with ridiculous in-app purchase model that just benefits the rich and once again screws those without as much expendable income.
            Last edited by Gary2975; 1 week ago.

• MareZ
            MareZ commented
            Editing a comment
            Very true, well said.

However the f2p model does allow many players to play for free, they just can't expect to compete much with the spenders that fund the game/devs.
        Working...
        X