Announcement

Collapse

New Forums are now up!

Greetings Dragon Lords! Please visit our new forums at http://forums.wardragons.com! We're leaving this old forum up for a period of time to allow players to migrate over any important posts, but will eventually close them out. Please note that you will need to log in using your PocketID over on the new forum. You can also access them through the game by tapping on Settings > Forums!
See more
See less

Feedback regarding our reminder

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback regarding our reminder

Hey folks,

I posted a reminder of a couple of our policies here. Feel free to share your thoughts on here, and we'll try to address them as soon as we can. Thanks!

that's good to let people know about TOS
    but what about who got banned before putting these things together ??
    you should give them a second chance

Comment

• TheRedDelilah
      TheRedDelilah commented
      Editing a comment
      Why? This was just a reminder, the ToS covers all this already.

Give them a second chance 2 cheat 😂😂😂 hell no theres a game called candy crush they can spend time on i heard its cute

Comment

We put the Code of Conducton on our Wiki pages. Thinking maybe it would be helpful to add a TOS page. Would that be a problem?

Comment

What many of us would like to see is uniform, competent, enforcement of the policies. We've heard of people being banned who we did not believe had done anything. In many cases, those accounts have been restored so it seems that we were correct to question the action. We've known teams that shared account credentials to make sure nobody could miss an attack. I'm fairly certain some of the top teams in the game are made up mostly of players with accounts started by others who've retired from the game. As a long term player, it is really annoying to go up against bases that I'm certain were not created by the current owners. I believe Joseph even stated they didn't care about this type of thing. So, more teams did it.

BTW, the bit about written consent from PG is concerning. Can we know what the factors are in determining whether or not a transfer is allowed? Will it normally be granted or is it a rarity?

In summary, I'd really like to have confidence that the people I'm competing with created their own bases, bred their own dragons and generally did what I went through to get where I am. Certainly not there now.

Comment

Hi. I actively spent my entire day working on anti-cheating measures. It's a long road, but we're working on it.

More details here: http://wardragons.pocketgems.com/for...anning-players

Comment

• SilentOne
            SilentOne commented
            Editing a comment
            It's great that you have systems in place and a shame that PG staff have to spend their time working on anti-cheating measures.

In simple terms though... Why isn't the system picking up that a level 30 player has level 40 dragons/towers? (for example)
            Are the hackers and their code that much more advanced than your staff and the code which you can produce to combat something which to many of us seems a simple solution.

• Dravoz
            Dravoz commented
            Editing a comment
            SilentOne - you'd think, right. Last time I recall this being discussed was a frustrating experience with no satisfactory answers...
            http://wardragons.pocketgems.com/for...-ban-turned-on

• SilentOne
            SilentOne commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah that was a great thread Dravoz, specially the bit from PGJared openly stating that they actively grant people higher dragons than they can achieve through standard game play.
            No wonder their auto-ban and other banning systems don't work, they can't have them working efficiently when they are deliberately putting people outside the parameters which would have them picked up by an effective and efficient banning system.

Good luck with ppl banning who sell discounted packs.

Fact is that PG gets 70% of an in app purchase and the missing 30% go to Apple or google. If they offer discounted cards there is no harm for PG.

Consult better your legal department before you announce such statements. I guarantee you'll need them if you would dare to ban anyone. Just sayin

Comment

• NinAK
            NinAK commented
            Editing a comment
            This ^^ gifting of packs to other players is part of the game now because pg wanted to sell more packs. End of the day pg makes more money off this and and they make the full amount regardless of what the original purchaser paid through discount itunes or discount google play cards.

I have always bought discount iTunes cards and used them for wardeagons purchases, some online, some in store during promotions. I have never paid for a full price pack because of this. The amount charged to my iTunes balance is always $99.99 so war dragons is getting same amount, I have always actually only paid $75-85 for 100 dollar iTunes cards.

Additionally they have absolutely no way to prove the gifters original intent unless you had the conversation in game.

Additionally the gifter most are questioning is sending them as free gifts for donations to a separate entity. They are indeed 100% gifts for a set donation amount. None of this is pocketgems problems, only potential legal /tax issues for this person are completely non pocketgems related.

If it's in their ToS they can ban anyone who breaks them even if said person has spent thousands of dollars on the game. Just sayin

Comment

• Munt415
            Munt415 commented
            Editing a comment
            i don't really care about it to be completely honest, I'm just saying ifs it's in their ToS they can ban you for it. It doesn't matter if it's not illegal or not. You're breaking the ToS so it's a ban able offense.

• Warlord
            Warlord commented
            Editing a comment
            They can't.

See all of the above.

If they do they need to hold the person harmless what means they have to restore the account back immediately.

Otherwise this would result in a refund of day one. Apple just refunds the last 1-2 months.

Colleagues at work been there and done that. Suing a company for invalid TOS/GTC is fun. 😎 And happens everyday.

And we lawyers earn a nice piece of the cake too.

So I'm looking forward to any mandates coming up.

• Munt415
            Munt415 commented
            Editing a comment
            If you're a lawyer I guess you know more about this than I do so I'll stop arguing as in the actual legal aspect I don't know as much as you do.

Dear SilentOne:

War Dragons actually has gone through a bunch of major changes since it was first released -- it actually was launched as single-player game. You basically took your dragon and fought PvE bases a-la Angry Birds or Candy Crush. Over time, we added the ability to build your own base, attack other PvP bases, chat, teams, guilds, events, realtime-battle networking battles. The original security architecture of the app was built for a single player game. As we've gone through the evolution from the start to where we are now, the architecture has had some security grafted onto it, but the code foundation of the persistence and shared state isn't proper.

Taking this codebase and transitioning it to something secure when lots of code is built on top of it is pretty hard. It's much much harder when there's millions of players actively using it with needs of backwards compatibility. It's very detail-oriented work -- making a mistake would end up with major scalability/performance problems (e.g., remember when it took minutes for the battle results to load up?), tons of sync-errors, deleted/reset gamestates, or people getting banned erroneously.

Obviously I wish it wasn't like this. I'm personally working on improving it.

TL;DR: Writing secure apps with shared-state and scalability is pretty hard. It's even harder when It's much harder when you're doing it for an existing codebase with a large active player base. I'm working on it. We're dedicated to making this problem better, but it's going to be a long road.

Comment

• ITIL
            ITIL commented
            Editing a comment
            Things make so much more sense now, that it was originally single player; thanks for the info. The real-time battles and pausing for lag, when it isn't exploited, is awesome

• SilentOne
            SilentOne commented
            Editing a comment
            But shouldn't you have been writing the secure code at the same time as adding all those multi-player bits?
            Then you wouldn't have to be plugging the holes now.

Grafting and adding modules doesn't seem to be an effective model of building this app.

I know it's how a lot of programs are developed but eventually at some point there needs to be a complete re-write in order to connect everything together more appropriately. I think War Dragons is at, if not well past, the point of needing this. Is it likely to happen or will we just continue to see patches, additions etc which continue to break or negatively effect other sections because they don't really communicate well with each other.

• SuavGlav
            SuavGlav commented
            Editing a comment
            Part of what you have to take into account is that both platform devs and coding suites add features and functionality every couple of years. So while newer devices arrive in consumers' hands ready to harness the power of the latest innovations, existing codebases are in a somewhat constant state of depracation with developers struggling to keep their codebases current. Add ever-evolving coding standards, game devs striving to improve their product with each iteration, and hackers finding new ways to take advantage of holes and flaws daily, and it's easier to understand how code that is a complete cluster today may have been completely sufficient a year ago.
            Last edited by SuavGlav; 07-07-2017, 10:00 PM.

There are some aps for android phones that create a partition space to basically clone social media and game aps to allow a person with a single device to have multiple accounts. Do any of these work with war dragons? I ask because getting another account without another phone bill would be nice. Some of them use root access and thouroghly partition the device and some just create a virtual space.

Comment

Only one question: i have 2 profiles, and i play with 2 different devices.,,.. but sometimes i load my big profile in device with 3g (one is only wifi) ... Is a problem? O_o

Comment

What's the point of reporting people though?
              Sharing accounts isn't allowed, but a team which got reported for it is still Highly Active in Sapphire with all their accounts at full strength.

There's little to no point saying to us, hey don't be naughty and break these rules if you're not going to follow through on a report indicating that players and teams are doing the wrong thing.

Comment

• hostage67
                hostage67 commented
                Editing a comment
                The problem is that they can't take these reports at face value (obviously since this is the internet people would submit false reports to get people they didn't like banned if they did). These reports still have to be substantiated before any action is taken and this frequently takes time. I'm sorry but there's no way they can just "take your word for it".

I should also point out that while sharing accounts is against the ToS, this is far from their top concern at the moment, even in regards to just security issues. Sharing accounts is an issue primarily due to data corruption, if someone is legitimately playing the game it doesn't really unbalance anything. However, having people actively hacking/cheating/exploiting in a way that does completely unbalance the game has a much more significant impact on the overall gameplay and they're still working on those major issues and likely will be for some time yet.

• SilentOne
                SilentOne commented
                Editing a comment
                That may be so hostage67 but having seen that they don't follow through appropriately on reports I'm now not going to spend my time reporting anything I see in game. How do I know what this team does? They actually ask for your login details when they are offering you a place on the team. That's a pretty obvious approach if you ask me.

The team I reported is now in Diamond so I guess they have made it to the untouchable realm and will continue to be allowed to break TOS and probably any other rules they choose to.

• hostage67
                hostage67 commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm surprised anyone gives them that info. I sure wouldn't.

CampusLifer

Hihi! First and foremost, yes I agree that cheating is despicable!!!!
              I have sent a ticket to enquire in May regarding multiple devices.
              My issue is that I have an ipad, a personal phone and also a work phone. These property belongs to me and I play WD on all of them with my single account.
              I am told that WD doesnt support multiple devices as it may cause issues with the game play.
              First and foremost, I don't think restricting apple owners to only use 1 device is right. If it is a technical issue on PG end then fix it. I do however understand that this makes sharing accounts hard to track but apple devices owners shouldn't be penalized.
              If War Dragons isn't a game where multiple Apple devices can be used to enjoy it, then I suggest you delist your product from apple. I have already enquired to apple about this and they have clearly replied that this is PG's technical end and in no way a violation to their T&C. (Duh.... They wanna sell as much products as possible)

Comment

• War fan
                War fan commented
                Editing a comment
                I think part of the problem isn't so much playing the game on multiple devices as much as playing the game AT THE SAME TIME on multiple devices.

My opinion on the linked post:

1. Cheating is cheating, even if it's outside your scope of power to correct. I understand there are things you can't code around, but the fact that 'anyone can do it' doesn't make it not cheating. Call it what it is and ban abusers accordingly (with sufficient evidence of course).

2. Account sharing. Improve the way wars work. My guess is that's where the majority of account sharing stems from.

3. Discount packs. Against your TOS? Fine. Prove it. You created the system that allows this to happen, and since transactions don't take place within the confines of the game (unless you're a complete idiot) I can't think of a way you could possibly prove that Player A gave Player B $85 for a $100 pack that Player A only paid $75 for. I don't spend anymore, but as far as I'm concerned the way other players spend their money is their business.

Comment

Working...
              X