Announcement

Collapse

New Forums are now up!

Greetings Dragon Lords! Please visit our new forums at http://forums.wardragons.com! We're leaving this old forum up for a period of time to allow players to migrate over any important posts, but will eventually close them out. Please note that you will need to log in using your PocketID over on the new forum. You can also access them through the game by tapping on Settings > Forums!
See more
See less

Please don't cheat, and tell your teammates not to cheat; I hate banning players

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please don't cheat, and tell your teammates not to cheat; I hate banning players

Hi all.

A bunch of threads and player feedback recently has been that cheating has been getting out of control. e.g., I personally was talking on a long thread with Panda & others about how cheating is hurting the game. I also have read (but haven't commented) on many many other recent threads talking about how cheating is hurting the game.

We're taking this feedback from players around cheating to heart. As such, we've redoubled our efforts focusing on this. For the last week I have personally been tackling this problem --- looking at what is going on & starting to clean up our code. It's going to take a while to get everything locked down, but I think I have a reasonable plan and have started to take first steps.

While I was working over the last weekend on this project, I also banned a bunch of people who were very clearly cheating --- even if they were long time players and even if they have spent money. Cheating hurts everyone in the community and it sends a really bad signal if some people are allowed to get away with it.

Similarly, this weekend, while I'm working on this problem I'm once again discovering tons of people cheating (even people who have been playing since early 2015 who have invested a ton of time & money in the game). I really, really hate banning these people. If you are someone who cheats --- in all seriousness you should stop because you're going to get caught, banned and lose your account. I was sadly surprised that some of these people who were actively cheating today while I was working are names of players I know and like. Please tell your friends & teammates and get the word out to stop it --- I really dislike being forced to ban these people.

I want to see a list of shame.

Comment

Also, isn't it late for a warning? Once it's done, just ban them. I don't see why a grace period is warranted or justified. It doesn't matter if it was last year or last week.

Comment

Although we might do it at some point, I'm not currently looking into the past and banning people who were cheating previously.

I'm just trying to implement some code over the weekend... and running into people who are actively cheating at the same moment while I'm sitting there staring at the server activity while I'm trying to tighten up our security code.

Comment

• Spooky
          Spooky commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent news, great to hear the game will be more fair for all.

I'm a little puzzled as to why those who cheated in the past are being given de facto amnesty however. If I cheated my base up to 300 and unlocked all dragons and a bunch of event consumables 2 months ago, the harm I am causing to the game is ongoing. All cheaters, past and present, should be expurgated.

• PGJared
          PGJared commented
          Editing a comment
          Spooky because the list would be incredibly long and we'd have to factor it against previous values (For example a little while back what was an impossible amount of XP per attack was suddenly made possible). What CampusLifer is doing is already a huge undertaking.

• Spooky
          Spooky commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah, OK, I misunderstood. I thought it was a conscious decision to give past cheaters amnesty as opposed to limitations caused by changed values etc. Appreciate the additional color on what is motivating the decisions vis a vis past cheating.

I for one very much appreciate CL's undertaking as I am one of those players who felt that cheaters were proliferating and operating rather brazenly with no visible response from PG prior to the world map chicanery.

PGJared

All for it. If they spent time/money in the game they should be angry over cheating...if they're partaking in it they should be banned immediately. Cheating forces the players who are playing "fair" to increase their spending. Thank you for finally making this a priority.

Comment

I've tried entering up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, start and it didn't work.

My hacking skills arent up to par, I think.

Comment

• Dakhunter
            Dakhunter commented
            Editing a comment
            I believe it's the code for Contra in Nitendo machine (forgot the name due to its like 20 years ago 😂)

• odie1993
            odie1993 commented
            Editing a comment
            pretty sure it was A B A B and it was Super Contra. Gave you 30 lives.

• PGJared
            PGJared commented
            Editing a comment
            It's the Konami code, and yes it worked for Contra back in the day. Hi, I'm old.

On a side note.... It's about time! Thanks

Comment

CampusLifer thank you very much for your efforts. The only thing more frustrating than watching people cheat is the thought that they are being ignored while the rest of us try and play by the rules. Your efforts clearly show that they are no longer being ignored and that we can all look forward to a better game experience soon.
            What, me worry?

Comment

Good to see somethings are being done here.

Comment

Thank you thank you thank you

Comment

Sticky this thread at the top.

Comment

Cheating how ? Or just hackers in general ?
                    Last edited by Ian; 02-19-2017, 06:51 AM.
                    Commend my persistence ^.^

Comment

• MaQleod
                      MaQleod commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Presumably it is looking for and taking advantage of server exploits. You can watch traffic to see what the game sends when doing certain actions and then code ways to duplicate it. Then there is providing server with requests to see how it acts using a variety of techniques and then using what is learned to make desired stuff happen. There is no way they'll give more details about exactly how or what is being done by cheaters, but in general it is poking at a server to gain benefits.

While I think the title and some aspects in this thread are rather laughable it's a good step forward. I'm expecting changes in 2.90 already.

Comment

• MaQleod
                      MaQleod commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The changes for most of these things will likely occur on the server, not in the client, so you won't see these changes in versions you install, unless changes to how the client communicates are necessary in order to adjust for changes in server code. Most likely they'll just roll all of it out silently over a period of time.

• castix
                      castix commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That doesn't make a difference to me

Thank you for good news once more

CampusLifer I wondered last time when i entered my bookmark list.... I player which i marked, because i dont liked his behaviour was over level 100... maybe about over 130
                    And now the funny thing... He is now level 64... how that happen ?

I am against cheating. If the game allow more prizes or a easier tier , surely i like to get that advantage... or if the game would allow a higher rate for frags of some new dragons... i would like to take that as a advantage too... but not cheating as i hear how some are getting stuff for nothing as rubies... or level fastly... thats not fair!
                    Same goes for during event cheaters... I really wonder if all is fair... because i am not able to get inside the fist 1000 sometimes... even with good scores...

GO for it CampusLifer... i backup you in your doing!!! I hope with no cheaters... you admins see the TRUE speed of the game... and that its very hard to get the new dragons or stuff... so you regroup some prizes as you did with time better and better ... believe in you !

Comment

• EmrahT
                      EmrahT commented
                      Editing a comment
                      @PGJared
                      I know about the display bug... but i said i fight these guys They attacked me like 20-30 times in short time.. and i back ^^
                      So that guy , i can send his name private too... was for sure over 100... maybe over 130.
                      Thats why i was just ... OMG , otherwise i would not care of his level when he is 60 level under me

So he was bookmarked... but decreased... that was weird.

• PGJared
                      PGJared commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Could you send in a support ticket with their name and ask for me? I'll review it.

• EmrahT
                      EmrahT commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ofc will do now

One of the Golden Rules of selling a product is "Listen to Understand" - so I'm really pleased to see that after a LOT of us telling you what's going on, the listening and understanding has now kicked in and action is being taken to address one of, almost certainly, the biggest threats to the viability of the game. If people think that the spending of their hard earned money is going to waste because a simple hack / cheat can immediately put the perpetrator in a better position, spenders will stop spending. In a gated game like this, it can't be that hard either to determine who the worst culprits are. And rubies appearing where no IAP has been made or gift received, these things ought to be possible to correlate.

Now, while in (hopefully) listening mode - the other big threat is players' perceived lack of PGs attention to sorting long-standing bugs and glitches, and perception that selling value packs has taken priority over everything else. If you can now start to right this wrong as well, then I start to see a much brighter future for the game.

Comment

Working...
                    X